[RAI] new proposed BoF and mailing list on feature interoperability

Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@cisco.com> Fri, 19 January 2007 21:03 UTC

Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 16:03:17 -0500
From: Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@cisco.com>
To: IETF Sipping List <sipping@ietf.org>, rai@ietf.org
DKIM-Signature: v=0.5; a=rsa-sha256; q=dns/txt; l=2625; t=1169240603; x=1170104603; c=relaxed/simple; s=sjdkim3002; h=Content-Type:From:Subject:Content-Transfer-Encoding:MIME-Version; d=cisco.com; i=jdrosen@cisco.com; z=From:=20Jonathan=20Rosenberg=20<jdrosen@cisco.com> |Subject:=20new=20proposed=20BoF=20and=20mailing=20list=20on=20feature=20 interoperability |Sender:=20; bh=AiYFENnVo6mu9iB9F49qQMDur0QNDUZHImkRBpYwhZw=; b=k4gOQPQrtLzhVAU4hZofkIPkrC5lGsdUOR4kw+y8Csoh49pQflbB3WHeLwlfANrjkTYLkLnT T0zL41/WlcTP6Hk8MdMl/SFXX2ws+/PL9ZIxEwjrazbxjtM4U9H7+n/D;

Please do not reply to this mail.

SIP has come a long way in terms of interoperability over the years.
However, there are several places where we still have a poor track
record of interoperability. One of these is in the area of more advanced
types of features. These include many of the features traditionally
found on enterprise PBXs, such as park/pickup, shared line extension,
and so on. There has been sporadic work on this topic, with many drafts,
but no real solution yet.

There is a real need to get these interoperability problems solved. This
need is coming from the IP PBX/Centrex side and from the consumer side,
from groups like TISPAN that want some of these features to work.

The interop problems stem from several root cause issues. One is too
much variety in the way these features can be implemented. This is good
from a flexibility point of view, but it causes interop problems when
both endpoints do things differently and won't work together as a
consequence. Another problem is lack of sufficient functionality from
the specs, in which cases people turn to proprietary techniques. Combine
this with the standard "dont want to implement the right thing because
its too hard" and general bug problems, and its a mess.

To fix this, I think it makes sense to start a working group thats
formally tasked with the problem. The idea is to take on individual
features, one at a time, figure out the real issues causing interop
problems, and address them by either writing some requirements for sip
enhancements, or developing some BCPs or informational documents
specifying minimum interop requirements. Its also important to do this
without trying to formally define what the feature is; we want to allow
variation as much as possible while preserving interop.

I've been with Cullen, Shida Schubert and a number of others on getting
a BoF going in Prague on this. We've got a mailing list that is now set
up, and a proposed charter, all of which can be found here:

http://sip101.net/index.html

Please join the list and participate in the discussions. The more of it
we can have prior to Prague, the better the chances we can arrive there
with a charter and deliverables that are on target.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
--
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711