[alto] Is there really a 'war' between ISPs and app providers?

"Woundy, Richard" <Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com> Fri, 27 March 2009 02:03 UTC

Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 22:02:12 -0400
From: "Woundy, Richard" <Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com>
To: alto@ietf.org
Cc: "Woundy, Richard" <Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com>
Subject: [alto] Is there really a 'war' between ISPs and app providers?

The WG chairs' diagram in the second ALTO session today portrayed a war between ISPs unwilling to provide topology information to the ALTO client, and P2P applications unwilling to provide any information to the ALTO server.

The image is strong, but it does not seem to reflect the reality that we are seeing. From our perspective, while the ISPs have constraints about what they can disclose, the ISPs are still able to provide useful policy information to the P2P applications. P2P applications have concerns about the privacy of their users, but do want to cooperate with the ISP to optimize network traffic in a manner beneficial to ISPs.

We are working together to solve an important problem that ISPs and the Internet have in general: the inefficiency of overlay routing, and lack of policy information available in machine-readable form. We have a proposal that we believe helps solve the problem to the satisfaction of both communities.

Can we agree as a WG that there is no 'hemispherical conflict'?

-- Rich Woundy, Comcast
-- Stanislav Shalunov, BitTorrent