[apps-discuss] apps-team review of draft-ietf-hokey-ldn-discovery-06

Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com> Fri, 04 February 2011 11:41 UTC

Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 12:44:36 +0100
From: Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com>
To: draft-ietf-hokey-ldn-discovery@tools.ietf.org, "apps-discuss@ietf.org" <apps-discuss@ietf.org>, 'IESG' <iesg@ietf.org>, IETF Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: [apps-discuss] apps-team review of draft-ietf-hokey-ldn-discovery-06

I have been selected as the Applications Area Review Team reviewer for
this draft (for background on apps-review, please see
http://www.apps.ietf.org/content/applications-area-review-team).
you may receive. Please wait for direction from your document shepherd
or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

Document: draft-ietf-hokey-ldn-discovery
Title: The Local Domain Name DHCPv6 Option Reviewer: [your name here]
Review Date: February 2, 2011

and should be revised further.

This draft provides a means for DHCP clients to ascertain a domain name
for use with ERP [RFC5296].

Major Issues:

The option specified in this draft is to be used for the specific
purpose of ERP, and may not be appropriate for other uses, such as use
in a search list.  See Section 2 of RFC 5296.  Both the option name and
the text should make this clear.

While this is an Applications area review, the Security Considerations
section should still conform to the requirements of RFC-3552.

Minor Issues:

According to RFC 4282 it should be possible for an NAI realm to begin
with a digit.  Strictly speaking this is not allowed by RFC 1035, which
RFC 3315 refers to, which this document references.  As a matter of
correctness, I might simply reference RFC 4282 instead of RFC 3315.

This document also specifies a length limitation of 256 octets that does
not take into account issues raised by RFC 4282.  My recommendation
would be to either match or reference the text in RFC 4282.  FWIW, I do
not like the text in 4282 much myself, because it's rather wishy washy.
Not sure how to fix that...

Nits:

IMHO no TOC required.

Section 5:

 DHPv6 server as a suboption of the Relay-Supplied Options option
 ^^^^^

s/DHPv6/DHCPv6/