[apps-discuss] APPSDIR review of draft-moonesamy-rfc2919bis-04

"Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp> Tue, 13 March 2012 10:38 UTC

Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 19:38:38 +0900
From: "\"Martin J. Dürst\"" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
To: "apps-discuss@ietf.org" <apps-discuss@ietf.org>, draft-moonesamy-rfc2919bis.all@tools.ietf.org
Subject: [apps-discuss] APPSDIR review of draft-moonesamy-rfc2919bis-04

I have been selected as the Applications Area Directorate reviewer for
this draft (for background on appsdir, please see
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/app/trac/wiki/ApplicationsAreaDirectorate).

you may receive. Please wait for direction from your document shepherd
or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

Document: draft-moonesamy-rfc2919bis-04
Title: List-Id: A Structured Field and Namespace for the Identification
of Mailing Lists
Reviewer: Martin Dürst
Review Date: March 13, 2012

Tracks, with the exception of Internationalization concerns, which seem
to have been forgotten completely

General comment: I'm somewhat unsure about the need for this update. But
if somebody is doing the actual work, I don't mind.
[After completing this review, I realize that I have probably invested
too much work to let the above comment stay. But I definitely didn't
want to disappoint our Team Lead.]

Major Issues:

Internationalization of list identifiers seem to have been completely
ignored. How is a list id from an IDN domain used? One option is
punycode, but this is really ugly (and would mean MUAs have to translate
to readable text). Also, it might make conversion to/from EAI messages a
real pain.

There is a tension between "the owner of a mailing list MUST NOT
generate List Identifiers in any domain name space for which they do not
have authority" and "As such the mailing list administrator should avoid
changing the List Identifier even when the host serving the mailing list
changes.". The MUST NOT is worded more strongly, but I think we want the
second part to win in case of conflict.

Minor Issues:

"List manager" is used throughout the document. When reading, I first
associated a person with this term, which was of course confusing. I
propose to change to another term or at least to explain the term on its
first use.

"This document obsoletes RFC 2919 [RFC2919].": I was really wondering
here what changed. At least provide a pointer to Appendix B here.

"and on other messages where the message clearly applies to this
particular distinct mailing list.": It would be good to give a few
examples here. I was thinking that this would mean bounce messages,
subscription confirmations, and the like, but I wasn't sure I got that
right.

"This field MUST only be generated by mailing list managers, not MUAs.":
What about MTAs?

"The contents of the List-Id header field mostly consist of": "mostly
consists of" is really confusing. It would be better to give the syntax
first, and then discuss the components one-by-one.

"As such the mailing list administrator *should* avoid changing the List
Identifier even when the host serving the mailing list changes." (and
some other instances): Please avoid lower-case normative keywords. They
are confusing. (one other example I found: "the MUA *may* inform the
user if the descriptive name of a mailing list changes."

"On the other hand, transitioning from an informal
unmanaged-list-id-namespace to a domain name space is an acceptable
reason to change the List Identifier.": There seems to be some confusion
between names and namespaces. In my understanding, there are only two
namespaces. Did I get something wrong?

Section 5 (Uniqueness): The first two paragraphs are about ".invalid",
then there is a paragraph about list ids derived from existing domain
names, then we are back to ".invalid". I suggest sorting this out better.

"A List Identifier using the special "invalid" namespace SHOULD include
the month and year (in the form MYYYY), i.e. the List Identifier is a
"subdomain" of the "invalid" namespace.": Why be imprecise first and
then give the details in the example? What about: ""A List Identifier
using the special "invalid" namespace SHOULD include a subdomain with
the month and year (in the form MMYYYY)."

Why is it MMYYYY? This may be legacy, but if not, it definitely should
be YYYYMM.

"Such a namespace is inherently flat, unmanaged and thus non-unique.":
The namespace is flat, but *names in it* are non-unique.

Nits:

Structuring of "1. Introduction": Add a subsection heading "Overview"
close to the start of the section; merge Terminology and Syntax Notation
into one subsection (e.g. Terminology and Notation).
Also, consider merging some of the very small sections into bigger
sections with subsections. As an example, the discussion of Persistence
and Uniqueness should probably be folded into the "List Identifier" Section.
This will lead to a better balance of sections and subsections.

Provide a short overview (by section) of the doc at the end of the
general part of the Introduction Section.

"This Internet-Draft can be discussed on the apps-discuss@ietf.org
    mailing list.  [RFC-Editor: please remove this paragraph]":
"paragraph" -> "subsection"

Section 2, "Where" part after "Syntax": I'd prefer to see the reference
to [RFC2606] immediately after the first mention of "invalid". Then that
item in the "Where" part could be removed. The explanation of
"dot-atom-text" would best be moved into the syntax, as follows
   dot-atom-text-enc = <as defined in [RFC5322]>
(see also http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-duerst-eai-mailto-02 for
similar examples).

"There MUST be not be more than one of List-Id header field in any given
message." -> "There MUST not be more than one List-Id header field in
any given message."

"consist of angle-bracket ('<', '>') enclosed identifier": "consist of
an identifier enclosed by angle-brackets ('<' and '>')"

"Client applications SHOULD treat any such whitespace, that might be
inserted by poorly behaved mailing list managers, as characters to
ignore.": "that" -> "which" ("that" cannot start a nonrestrictive clause)

"While it is perfectly acceptable for a List Identifier to be completely
independent of the domain name of the host machine servicing the mailing
list, the owner of a mailing list MUST NOT generate List Identifiers in
any domain name space for which they do not have authority.": A
normative sentence (MUST NOT and such) should stand on its own wherever
possible (and the above sentence is longish anyway).

"from an informal unmanaged-list-id-namespace to a domain name space":
Please check for consistent spelling of name space/namespace. (namespace
is better, because most people will parse "domain name space" as (domain
name) space.

"month and year (in the form MYYYY)": "MYYYY" -> "MMYYYY"

"6.  Operations on List Identifier*s*"

"The comparison operation MUST ignore any part of the List-Id header
field outside of the angle brackets, the MUA may inform the user if the
descriptive name of a mailing list changes.": This looks like it wants
to be two sentences to me.

"however, this will only be possible when the nested mailing list is
aware of the relationship between it and its "parent" mailing lists.":
Please change "it and its" to "itself and its". Also, please change
"aware" to a less personifying term.

"If a mailing list manager encounters List-Id header fields from any
unexpected source it SHOULD NOT pass them through to the mailing list.

As mentioned above, mail list managers should not allow any
user-originated List-Id header fields to pass through to their lists,
lest they confuse the user and have the potential to create security
problems.": Please eliminate repetition.

"Removed List-Sequence header field as it does not fit it": What does
not fit what?

Regards,    Martin.