Re: [apps-discuss] review of draft-bormann-cbor-04

ray polk <ray.polk@oracle.com> Sat, 10 August 2013 21:12 UTC

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 15:02:36 -0600
From: ray polk <ray.polk@oracle.com>
To: Claudio Allocchio <claudio.allocchio@garr.it>, draft-bormann-cbor.all@tools.ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org, apps-discuss@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] review of draft-bormann-cbor-04

I have been selected as the Applications Area Review Team reviewer for
this draft.  For background on apps-review, please see
http://www.apps.ietf.org/content/applications-area-review-team

Document: draft-bormann-cbor-04
Title: Concise Binary Object Representation (CBOR)
Reviewer: Ray Polk
Review Date: 10 August 2013

Major Issues:
- none -- After pouring over the binary/hex and the mapping to/from
json, I couldn't find a single mistake.  It meets its objectives and
addresses the primary issues of msgpack (extensibility,  open standard,
different types for string and byte streams)

Minor Issues:
- none

Editorial / Nits:
2.
- Consider striking "For the impatient reader," or rephrasing for tone.
- Consider referring to the type section after "...the major type (the
high-order 3 bits)..." ?
- "Every item between the byte string with the indefinite length
indicator and..."
Consider something like "...CBOR item with type byte string..." ?

2.3.
- Consider swapping the last two paragraphs; providing detail about
simple type before discussing floating point (to match order laid out in
Table 1).

2.4.
- consider continuing the use of "preceded by" as found in the first
sentence; perhaps eliminating the "enclosed by" phrasing.  use of the
term "enclosed by" implies a closing "break" or closing tag.
- "A secondary purpose it to allow..." > "A secondary purpose is to
allow..."
- consider using MAY in this section to highlight its optional nature.

2.4.3.
- consider breaking up the run-on sentence that begins:  "An example of
a decimal fraction is that the number 273.15..."

3.
- Much of section 3 could be condensed (or even moved into an
informational RFC?).  It's a little verbose/redundant.  The most helpful
bits are obfuscated/diluted by the less helpful ones.

For example, sections 3.2.2 & 3.2.3. are redundant.  consider making
them one paragraph instead of three:

A parser may come across a simple value Section 2.3 or a tag Section 2.4
that it does not recognize, such as a value that was added to the IANA
registry after the parser was deployed or a value that the parser chose
not to implement.  Further, a parser might or might not want to verify
that the sequence of bytes in an UTF-8 string (major type 3) is actually
valid UTF-8.  In these cases, the parser might issue a warning, might
stop processing altogether, might handle the error and make the
incorrectly-typed value available to the application as such, or take
some other type of action.

I think similar improvements could be made to other 3.x subsections.

Appendix E
The draft states, "BSON specification is 'baroque,' clouded by
requirements for DB" -- consider adding a corresponding objective that
this violates and citing it here.