Re: [BEHAVE] Port Management To Reduce Logging In Large-Scale NATs

<mohamed.boucadair@orange-ftgroup.com> Fri, 03 September 2010 12:33 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange-ftgroup.com
To: Lars Eggert <lars.eggert@nokia.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 14:34:13 +0200
acceptlanguage: fr-FR
Cc: "behave@ietf.org" <behave@ietf.org>, Tina TSOU <tena@huawei.com>
Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] Port Management To Reduce Logging In Large-Scale NATs

Re-,

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Lars Eggert [mailto:lars.eggert@nokia.com]
Envoyé : vendredi 3 septembre 2010 14:28
À : BOUCADAIR Mohamed NCPI/NAD/TIP
Cc : Tina TSOU; behave@ietf.org

Hi,

On 2010-9-3, at 15:09, mohamed.boucadair@orange-ftgroup.com wrote:
> (1) The performance of the device are not impacted due to the writing operation (of each individual binding). For some implementations, we have seen a severe degradation when the device (in our case, it is a CGN DS-Lite) must log each individual entry. Note that, we have seen some implementations which loss packets when the port range bindings are not yet in place. But, I guess this is implementation-specific.

right, I wouldn't diagnose a fundamental issue with the technology based on one implementation that has issues.

> (2) The amount of new sessions to be handled per second are drastically enhanced when a port range scheme is used instead of individual port assignment.

You still need to install or at least update a binding for each connection, in order to keep track of which external ports in the range are in use or available, and keep track of which internal port maps to which external port.

Med: Yes, but you don't need to log it and this why the performance are enhanced.

> (3) As an aside effect, when port ranges are used the size of the log file is optimised (FWIW, see http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boucadair-port-range-02#section-15.2 for a simplified exercise). Of course this optimisation depends on length of the port range.

I understand that ranges shorten the log file. The point I was trying to make is that even on very large CGNs (large enough so that they'd need an insane amount of bandwidth to forward all the traffic they're seeing), the log sizes are not unmanageable. Sure, they can always be reduced, but that's an optional optimization.

Med: When the factor is 1000, then optimisation can not be seen as a luxe.

Lars