[decade] WG Reviews of the Decade Survey draft

"zhangyunfei" <zhangyunfei@chinamobile.com> Mon, 27 December 2010 09:31 UTC

Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 17:33:26 +0800
From: zhangyunfei <zhangyunfei@chinamobile.com>
To: "decade@ietf.org" <decade@ietf.org>
Subject: [decade] WG Reviews of the Decade Survey draft

First of all happy new year to everybody!

The following is my WG review of draft-ietf-decade-survey-02.

This document surveys thoroughly deployed, experimental and on-research in-network storage and cache systems/ sub-systems
and describes their applicability for DECADE. It provides rich references for knowing what the existing systems have and
what they lack of. Therefore the designing space of DECADE is explicated for better understanding. The draft is well written and
conveys the group's intent well.
The authors are suggested to categorize the surveyed systems/sub-systems as user-controlled (individual) services (in scope of DECADE)
and network-controlled (mass) services (out of scope of DECADE) to make it more focus on DECADE type services.

Specific comments and concerns:
1.  The organization of section 4: In this section the authors survey thoroughly deployed, experimental and on-research in-network storage
      and cache systems/ sub-systems. However some of them are user-controlled (individual) services like section 4.1, 4.2,4.9,4.10 and
     part of 4.12, which are in scope of DECADE; others are network controlled(mass) services where the users have no rights to operate
    the in-network storage or caches, which are out of scope of DECADE. The current organization is a little bit messy and it’s suggested
    to separate the two parts and focus on the DECADE type services.
2.  Difference between cache and storage: In section 4, there are many places to mention in-network caches. In network-controlled
     caches, it’s hard to introduce DECADE service because some of the operations defined in DECADE like data deletion in DECADE
     server (if we use the current cache as the DECADE server) may raise confliction with the existing cache update mechanism
     by Cache operators when dealing with a certain data. In section 4.14 the authors state the possible inapplicability for the cache scenarios
     in using DECADE mechanism. But to make the draft more clear, it’s better to state explicit the scope of DECADE ahead of this section.
    And also more discussions on whether and how much degree we need the cache system/subsystem description in this draft are needed in the group.
3.  In section 2, the No.1 effect of DECADE, to my understanding, is to improve P2P application experience in up-band constraint environment like
    cellular mobile networks. The current draft lacks of this although this is highlighted in the PS.
4.  Data Search Capability described in section 3.3 seems irrelevant to DECADE protocols.
5.  In section 3.8 the authors propose three types of storage modes without explicit description. And the following echoes in section 4 still pose an
     ambiguous image esp. between file and object oriented mode.

Nits
Section 2.2 Line2: to reducing->to reduce

Best regards,

Yunfei

zhangyunfei
2010-12-27