Re: [dhcwg] WGLC for draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-active-leasequery-00 - Respond by Feb. 28

Sheng Jiang <jiangsheng@huawei.com> Fri, 14 March 2014 03:53 UTC

From: Sheng Jiang <jiangsheng@huawei.com>
To: Tomek Mrugalski <tomasz.mrugalski@gmail.com>, dhcwg <dhcwg@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 03:53:33 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.98.145]
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] WGLC for draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-active-leasequery-00 - Respond by Feb. 28

This may be late. However, here is my review and comments. (I would be the document shepherd. I will do another more thorough shepherd review after update version is available.)

Overall, I have read this draft and support it moving forward, but do wish the follow-up comments get answered or addressed among with the comments from others.

Unless I missed, there is no support for a requestor to initiatively end the Active Leasequery. The current document only state, in section 8.6, "the Requestor MAY close its end of the TCP connection at any time." But, closing TCP connection does not mean the Active Leasequery operation between the requestor and the server is properly closed.

It should be clearly defined what is "binding change", which is newly introduced. Particularly, it should be clarified that binding end is also binding change though it may be already known by lifetime when a binding was created.

It may help to add some clarification text for that this document require DHCPv6 server keeps/saves historic information of binding status (maybe in section 3). I may not sure the current DHCPv6 server implementations support this, which is the precondition that they can support catch-up function in this active leasequery. There is some relevant text in paragraph 8 of section 3. But it is not explicit enough. Also, it is unclear how a server know a DHCPv6 Active Leasequery requestor connection was interrupted, and whether it is temporarily. This may be relevant to the management of historic information on the server.

In the security consideration in section 10, regarding to "prevent information leakage", intercepting for the Active Leasequery information should be discussed.

There are a few minor nits. The authors should be able to locate them by running through the IETF online nits checking tool. Please do fix them in the update version.

Best regards,

Sheng