[Diversity] Starting the discussion

SM <sm@resistor.net> Sun, 14 April 2013 20:37 UTC

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 13:28:46 -0700
To: diversity@ietf.org
From: SM <sm@resistor.net>
Subject: [Diversity] Starting the discussion

Hello,

To start the discussion I'll quote Jari Arkko:

   "we think of diversity as something that covers international participation,
    different cultures, gender, age, organisational background, and so on.
    While the IETF has become a very international organisation (with
    participants from 60 countries working on documents, for instance),
    there are many aspects of diversity where we could do much better.  Overall
    participation is concentrated in some areas of the world, with little
    participation from Africa and South America, for instance. Similarly,
    while the IETF has some very active female participants and leadership
    members, the numbers are very small.  Much of the work in the IETF is
    driven by large networking companies, yet academia and small companies
    would have more to give, and operational experience from additional
    operators would be similarly appreciated.

   Importantly, these disparities appear most prominently in our leadership"

There is little participation from developing countries as the people
identified to participate in the IETF do not do protocol-related
work.  I don't know whether anyone on this mailing list has seen
http://www.africafornorway.no/  That's the approach currently being
taken.  It is not in the interest of anybody to raise the issue.  The
few people who attempt to participate in a discussion can receive
disparaging remarks from regular IETF participants.  Nobody raises
any objection.  I saw a case recently.  I did not say anything as in
my opinion there would not be any community support.

Someone mentioned "be persistent" in a discussion on an unrelated
IETF mailing list.  The IETF culture discourages people who are not
familiar with U.S. culture to participate.  It's not that the people
are not persistent; it's difficult to understand how the IETF works.

In my opinion the IETF does not understand young people.  There is a
tendency to either take a paternalistic approach or else expect
people to go through the same difficulties so that they can learn.

If a person comes to an IETF meeting he/she will see women at the
registration desk and maybe one or two women in a working group
session.  He/she won't see any women on the IESG.  It looks like the
usual stereotypes.  The five women who went to the microphone were
courageous enough to do so.

It has been mentioned that the values are more important than who
"represents" whom.  The values do not map to what the average
participant sees.  There is a saying: "Not only must justice be done;
it must also be seen to be done".

Regards,
-sm