Re: [Diversity] IETF Guidelines for Conduct - draft-moonesamy-ietf-conduct-3184bis

Brian Trammell <trammell@tik.ee.ethz.ch> Mon, 02 September 2013 15:44 UTC

From: Brian Trammell <trammell@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 17:44:25 +0200
To: S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@elandsys.com>
Cc: diversity@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Diversity] IETF Guidelines for Conduct - draft-moonesamy-ietf-conduct-3184bis

hi SM,

On 2 Sep 2013, at 17:19 , S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@elandsys.com> wrote:

> Hi Brian,
> At 03:34 02-09-2013, Brian Trammell wrote:
>> I'd like to second previous comments with regard to "slang", that such is merely a symptom of not communicating clearly: slang, higher- or lower-register speech, formal jargon designed to be impenetrable, etc, are all such symptoms, and we should try to address the cause rather than listing the effects. In my experience, network engineers as a class are not necessarily gifted with clarity, even in their own languages, but a reminder to try is certainly useful.
>
> I'll highlight a point from the above:
>
>  "jargon designed to be impenetrable"
>
> Sometimes a person might be using the jargon because he or she sees other people doing it.  It might also be that it's easier (shorter way of expressing a thought).  Sometimes it might be because it won't be understood by a layman (see point above).

Here I was referring to a disease specific to academia where simple ideas are often disguised in math to make them look more impressive. Jargon designed to be precise is actually a good thing: there's a reason our documents have terminology sections. :)

> I agree that nowadays network engineers are not gifted with clarity even in their own language.
>
> I proposed the following text to replace the sentence about slang:
>
>   Native English participants attempt to accommodate the needs of other
>   participants by communicating clearly.

Tiny nit: the above reads a little ambiguously, and could be interpreted as referring to participants born in England, which is clearly not what you mean. It also absolves speakers of English as a second language from the responsibility of communicating clearly, which I hope is also not what you mean. Anecdotally years of working in a country where essentially everyone speaks English as a second language have taught me that ability to speak English and ability to communicate clearly in English are far less linked than I'd have originally thought.

I'd suggest "All participants attempt to accommodate the needs of others by communicating clearly, particularly those with English as a first language", instead.

Best regards,

Brian