[dnsext] afasterinternet.com trial and draft-vandergaast-edns-client-subnet-00

Andrew Sullivan <ajs@anvilwalrusden.com> Tue, 30 August 2011 16:20 UTC

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 12:21:34 -0400
From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@anvilwalrusden.com>
To: draft-vandergaast-edns-client-subnet@tools.ietf.org
Cc: dnsext@ietf.org
Subject: [dnsext] afasterinternet.com trial and draft-vandergaast-edns-client-subnet-00

Dear authors of draft-vandergaast-edns-client-subnet-00:

The site http://www.afasterinternet.com came to our attention.

It appears to us that you are undertaking a trial deployment of
draft-vandergaast-edns-client-subnet-00, and that you are soliciting
people to participate in the client portion of this trial.  We think
this is, in effect, a limited public trial on the public Internet.

We would like to urge you, very strongly, to obtain an actual EDNS0
option code assignment from IANA prior to proceeding with this trial.
By failing to obtain such a code, and by releasing your software to
the Internet, you are potentially polluting the EDNS0 option code
space.

We are aware of the obstacles to obtaining such an option code, but we
believe that the benefits of a faster Internet, which you are avowedly
attempting to deliver, will only really be benefits if they don't
break others' software, either now or in the future.  By using a
completely unassigned option code, as you must be doing, you are
risking colliding with another assignment.

In order to obtain the option code, all that is needed is an RFC to be
published.  We stand ready and willing to help you pursue that
publication, particularly since you intend your protocol to be
experimental.

Best regards,

Andrew and Olafur
(co-chairs of the DNSEXT working group, but speaking only for ourselves.)

--
Andrew Sullivan
ajs@anvilwalrusden.com