Re: [DNSOP] I-D ACTION:draft-regnauld-ns-communication-00.txt

Paul Vixie <vixie@vix.com> Wed, 20 December 2006 17:42 UTC

To: dnsop@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] I-D ACTION:draft-regnauld-ns-communication-00.txt
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 17:39:45 +0000
From: Paul Vixie <vixie@vix.com>

> > Consider the various approaches used by ISC and others to populate a
> > zone with data that can be extracted by a nameserver and used to
> > configure itself, for example. No protocol there -- more like a zone
> > schema.
>
> Right.  I think the idea (and I'm sure Stephane will correct me if I'm
> wrong) is to come up with a standard way to do this sort of thing.

my read on this document is that it describes something more expansive
than the ISC tool mentioned above.  (see attached PDF.)  it's more like
"junoscript or netconf for DNS authorities", and a standard like it has
been long needed.  as to where it belongs, if it's going to be in-band
(affecting the wire protocol) then it should be in DNSEXT/namedroppers,
but if it's going to be a new protocol (like the regnauld doc describes)
or just new ways to use the existing protocol (like the attached PDF
describes) then it belongs in DNSOP.

the attached paper was published last year but i've not got around to
writing an I-D for it nor releasing the software that implements it.  i
have shared it privately with a number of folks, and it's in fairly wide
use among the folks ISC trades slave nameservice with.  my big worries
are that it's either too BIND-specific or that it'll spawn a dozen
competing non-interoperable schemas (like my QUOTE SITE INDEX hack did
in wu-ftpd).  so if you hate this, plz don't hack up your own -- instead,
write an I-D or help me write an I-D, and let the community drive some
coherence into this functionality.)

--
Paul Vixie