Re: [Emu] Working Group Last Call for draft-ietf-emu-chbind-04.txt

Yaron Sheffer <yaronf@checkpoint.com> Sun, 06 December 2009 10:02 UTC

From: Yaron Sheffer <yaronf@checkpoint.com>
To: "emu@ietf.org" <emu@ietf.org>
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 12:02:31 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [Emu] Working Group Last Call for draft-ietf-emu-chbind-04.txt

Hi,

IMHO this document is not ready to be advanced, at least not as Standards Track.

The document is extremely abstract: it defines the problem statement very well, but then keep its options open when describing the solution. The fact that the document has an empty IANA section is a strong hint that it is not really defining a protocol.

This can be resolved either of two ways:

- Change it to Informational, and add text to clarify that the document is *not* defining a protocol (despite the title of Sec. 5), but rather presents the problem and proposes several alternative solution strategies.

- Or extend it to really define a protocol. In which case you need to answer some simple questions like:
	* Is this taking place at the EAP level? The SAP level? Is it a new EAP method? Should it be built into each and every new EAP method?
	* How does it apply to the few existing EAP methods that can accommodate it today?
	* How are the actual TLVs represented/encoded?

BTW, just defining the TLV formats (and IANA numbers) for EAP methods would serve the community well: looking at the IANA registry for EAP-GPSK, there's a "protected payload" defined (http://www.iana.org/assignments/eap-gpsk-parameters/eap-gpsk-parameters.xhtml#eap-gpsk-parameters-2). But nobody ever bothered defining *any* specific payloads for channel bindings.

Thanks,
	Yaron