Re: [Emu] Working Group Last Call for draft-ietf-emu-chbind-04.txt

"Hoeper Katrin-QWKN37" <khoeper@motorola.com> Tue, 02 March 2010 15:56 UTC

Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 10:56:32 -0500
From: Hoeper Katrin-QWKN37 <khoeper@motorola.com>
To: Yaron Sheffer <yaronf@checkpoint.com>, emu@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Emu] Working Group Last Call for draft-ietf-emu-chbind-04.txt

Yaron,

Thank you for your comments.

The intended status of the draft is "Standards track", i.e., the draft
should describe a channel binding solution and not only summarize the
problem and possible solution strategies.

The original draft contained both, a channel binding protocol and a
definition of containers for carrying the exchanged channel binding
information. It was decided early on that for clarity reasons and more
universal usage of these containers, it is better to have two separate
documents to cover both topics.

This is why we have <draft-ietf-emu-chbind-04> to describe the protocol
and <draft-clancy-emu-aaapay-03> to describe the containers. Recently
another draft <draft-cam-winget-eap-tlv-00> has been submitted that
describes EAP TLV containers.

For these reasons, I believe that such a container does *not* need to be
defined in the channel binding draft. It seems to be a much better
approach to use more general EAP containers that can carry channel
binding as well as other data.

To answer your other comments:
"Is this taking place at the EAP level?" Yes
"The SAP level?" No
"Is it a new EAP method?" No, it is an extension to EAP methods that can
be supported by some existing EAP methods and SHOULD be supported by all
new EAP methods.
"Should it be built into each and every new EAP method?" Yes, at least
it is a SHOULD requirement per WG consensus to support channel bindings.

"How does it apply to the few existing EAP methods that can accommodate
it today?" EAP methods that already support the exchange of channel
binding information can easily implement the protocol.

>From your questions, it is obvious that the draft needs to do a better
job to clearly answer the above questions.

Best regards,
Katrin

Standards
> Track.
>
> The document is extremely abstract: it defines the problem statement
very
> well, but then keep its options open when describing the solution. The
> fact that the document has an empty IANA section is a strong hint that
it
> is not really defining a protocol.
>
> This can be resolved either of two ways:
>
> - Change it to Informational, and add text to clarify that the
document is
> *not* defining a protocol (despite the title of Sec. 5), but rather
> presents the problem and proposes several alternative solution
strategies.

> - Or extend it to really define a protocol. In which case you need to
> answer some simple questions like:
> 	* Is this taking place at the EAP level? The SAP level? Is it a
new
> EAP method? Should it be built into each and every new EAP method?
> 	* How does it apply to the few existing EAP methods that can
> accommodate it today?
> 	* How are the actual TLVs represented/encoded?
>
> BTW, just defining the TLV formats (and IANA numbers) for EAP methods
> would serve the community well: looking at the IANA registry for
EAP-GPSK,
> there's a "protected payload" defined
> (http://www.iana.org/assignments/eap-gpsk-parameters/eap-gpsk-
> parameters.xhtml#eap-gpsk-parameters-2). But nobody ever bothered
defining
> *any* specific payloads for channel bindings.
>
> Thanks,
> 	Yaron

> > Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 12:12:30 -0800
> > From: "Joseph Salowey (jsalowey)" <jsalowey@cisco.com>
> > Subject: [Emu] Working Group Last Call for
> > 	draft-ietf-emu-chbind-04.txt
> > To: <emu@ietf.org>
> >
> > This is an announcement of working group last call for the Channel
> > Bindings draft: draft-ietf-emu-chbind-04.  Please send comments to
the
> > list by December 18, 2009.  When proposing changes to the document
it is
> > helpful to provide some sample text.  Also if you have reviewed the
> > document and found no issues it is appropriate to send a message to
the
> > list indicating your approval.
> >
> > The URL for the document is
> > http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-emu-chbind-04.txt
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Joe
> >

> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 2
> > Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 13:11:26 -0800 (PST)
> > From: "Dan Harkins" <dharkins@lounge.org>
> > Subject: Re: [Emu] Issue #7: Password Authentication
> > To: "Joseph Salowey (jsalowey)" <jsalowey@cisco.com>
> > Cc: emu@ietf.org
> >

> >   Hi Joe,
> >
> >   I like your suggestion. Using "EAP server" would satisfy my
concern.

> >   thanks,
> >
> >   Dan.
> >
> > On Fri, December 4, 2009 11:56 am, Joseph Salowey (jsalowey) wrote:
> > > OK good points.  I can see the problem with the authentication
server
> > > wording.  I think EAP server is more correct in this case as it
leaves
> > > deployment options open.   Is the text OK if we change
Authentication

"