Re: [ESDS] Proposed Charter - 2nd update

Ali Rezafard <arezafar@ca.afilias.info> Thu, 25 September 2008 19:25 UTC

From: Ali Rezafard <arezafar@ca.afilias.info>
To: esds@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 15:23:08 -0400
Subject: Re: [ESDS] Proposed Charter - 2nd update
Sender: esds-bounces@ietf.org

Thank you Kary and Mark for your input. The charter has been updated
accordingly.

I have removed the word "available" from "i)" since availability would
be subject to Authentication and Authorization. Also "available" might
be implying that DS should verify the information resource
availability, which is not in scope of a DS responsibilities.

Best Regards,
Ali

ESDS Charter:

ESDS has been chartered to architect and define a protocol for
Discovery Services. Discovery Services at its core offers to
authenticated and authorized users the means to discover sources of
information for a particular object. Discovery Services can be
implemented as a decentralized directory of resources indexed by a
shared identifier. The scope of Discovery Service is confined to only
providing referral data to resource of information. Discovery Services
need to be deployable in both closed networks as well as open and
global networks such as Internet.

ESDS will develop interfaces for users of Discovery Services as well
as an interface for peer-to-peer communication among Discovery
Services. ESDS will develop interfaces for:
i) publishing the address of information resources [for a particular
ID of an object of interest],
ii) submitting one-time queries for retrieving the addresses of such
resources, and
iii) registering for standing queries, whose responses inform the
client of addition, deletion or modification of DS records at a future
time for a particular ID or group of IDs of an object or objects of
interest.
ESDS should support utilization of a trusted external identity
management service for Authentication. ESDS should enable
configuration of Authorization and Access Control for publishing
clients to provide control over the reference data in Discovery Service.

One of the applications motivating the development and standardization
of Discovery Services is the increasing use of automatic
identification technologies (in particular Radio Frequency
Identification (RFID) ) to capture observations of tagged physical
objects within the premises of a company and also as they pass from
one company to another, in a supply chain or supply network.

However, Discovery Services have a potentially wider generic
applicability, as a bottom-up mechanism for constructing indices and
referral systems for information about particular topics or keywords,
particularly when the contributed information is distributed across
multiple nodes on the internet and in particular, where the
contributed information (and the metadata that enables its discovery)
is not intended to be available to everyone or is not ordinarily
discoverable by public web search engines that perform automated
crawling and indexing of publicly accessible content.