[Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-6man-rpl-routing-header-04.txt

"Miguel A. Garcia" <Miguel.A.Garcia@ericsson.com> Mon, 24 October 2011 18:31 UTC

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 20:31:43 +0200
From: "Miguel A. Garcia" <Miguel.A.Garcia@ericsson.com>
To: jhui@archrock.com, jpv@cisco.com, culler@cs.berkeley.edu, vishwas@ipinfusion.com
Cc: General Area Review Team <gen-art@ietf.org>, brian haberman <brian@innovationslab.net>, Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-6man-rpl-routing-header-04.txt

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)
reviewer for this draft. For background on Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>

Please resolve these comments along with any other comments you may receive.

Document: draft-ietf-6man-rpl-routing-header-04.txt
Reviewer: Miguel Garcia <miguel.a.garcia@ericsson.com>
Review Date: 2011-10-23
IETF LC End Date: 2011-10-31

should be fixed before publication.

Major issues: none

Minor issues:

- Section 2 is titled "Overview". As such, I was expecting to find
descriptive text that makes the reader easier to understand the
technology that will be later described in detail and in a more normative
way. However, this Section contains a number of normative texts already
(MUSTs and MAYs), which defeats the purpose of an Overview Section. I
wonder whether those MUSTs and MAYs words need to be really written there
in that way, or whether the Overview section can be written in
descriptive non-normative way.

My recommendation: Turn all this normative text into informative. Make
sure that the normative text is written elsewhere later in the document.

- Section 2, second paragraph, says:

    Third, routers along the way MUST verify that loops do not exist with
    in the source route.

I don't know how to digest this sentence. If I am implementing the
protocol, is there something I can do to comply with the "MUST"? Or is
this "MUS"T addressing the operation of the network? I think it is a good
recommendation for network administrators, in which case, it should be
exactly like that, a recommendation, not normative. But please clarify
the intention.

- Section 2, bullet points 1 and 2. Is there a reason why the "should" in
the bullet point 1 is non-normative and the "SHOULD" in the second bullet
point is normative?

/Miguel

--
Miguel A. Garcia