[Gen-art] Gen-art review: draft-ietf-dhc-triggered-reconfigure-05

Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com> Fri, 26 April 2013 15:42 UTC

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 10:42:09 -0500
From: Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com>
To: dhcwg@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org, General Area Review Team <gen-art@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-dhc-triggered-reconfigure@tools.ietf.org
Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-art review: draft-ietf-dhc-triggered-reconfigure-05

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on
Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at

you may receive.

Document: draft-ietf-dhc-triggered-reconfigure-05
Reviewer: Robert Sparks
Review Date: April 26, 2013
IETF LC End Date: May 6, 2013
IESG Telechat date: May 16, 2013

       the review.

Major issues:

Overall, this document is solid, but I think there is a bug in section 6.3.
I could be wrong, but If I'm right, this paragraph:

    When retransmission is required, the relay may decide to correct the
    content of RECONFIGURE-REQUEST message it issues (e.g., update the
    Client Identifier list).  This decision is local to the relay (e.g.,
    it may be based on observed events such as one or more clients were
    reconfigured on their own).

introduces a race-condition that could lead to an erroneous state. If a
relay's first message included client A, then the retransmission
included clients A and B, but that retransmission crosses with a success
RECONFIGURE-REPLY to the request that only included client A, the relay
will think it succeeded in asking A and B to be reconfigured.

Minor issues:

This sentence:

    Furthermore, means to recover state in failure events must be
    supported, but are not discussed in this document.

places a requirement on a relay (even though it's not using a 2119
MUST). Is there some other document that defines this requirement that
you can reference? If not, the requirement should be discussed in this
document. Alternatively, you could change the sentence to talk about the
consequences of not having a proprietary means for recovering state.

Nits/editorial comments: