Re: [http-auth] Tunisian/Syrian phishing attacks

Yaron Sheffer <yaronf@gmx.com> Sun, 12 June 2011 06:50 UTC

Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 09:50:17 +0300
From: Yaron Sheffer <yaronf@gmx.com>
To: Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com>
Cc: http-auth@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [http-auth] Tunisian/Syrian phishing attacks

Hi Nico,

thanks for your comments.

I agree several alternative authentication methods make sense, in addition to ZKPP. But for now, I'd rather concentrate on passwords since they make the most sense in the consumer context. If we do it right, we can migrate to PSK later on - if the user doesn't enter the password, they might as well use long binary strings. And maybe Kerberos as well.

But apparently I wasn't clear on the implementation, and that's a critical part. It looks like secure scripts are an impossibility right now (although people are trying: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caja_project" rel="nofollow">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caja_project). So I expect the browser internals to take care of authentication, with no scripting and no user interface involved. This is also why I'm avoiding the term "browser chrome" which smells of GUI: if you allow users into the loop, they will always make the rational decision and press Yes.

So here's my amended proposal again:

1. Users are authenticated to Facebook with a password, using a zero-knowledge password protocol (ZKPP), with authentication at the TLS or the HTTP layer.
2. In the future this can be extended to support other strong mutual auth schemes, like PSK or enterprise server+client certificates.
3. In any case, authentication is crypto-bound into the TLS-protected session (OK, let's assume Facebook sessions are TLS-protected...).
4. Passwords are stored in the browser's password manager. The browser doesn't "paste" the password into a form; rather, the browser only uses the password to run the client side of the ZKPP. This is done behind the scenes, the user doesn't get to see the plaintext password or even a row of asterisks. The browser implements ZKPP internally, with no scripts taking part in the process. In particular, browser-based scripts never get to see the password.
5. This is further hardened with an HSTS-like mechanism: only use this site if you can perform mutual authentication with it.
6. As a result of this scheme, users are trained *not* to enter their passwords explicitly, and will be suspicious when the see a "please enter your password" page. More importantly, they will have to work hard to get access to their password, which would discourage them from revealing the password to any arbitrary Web site.

Thanks,
    Yaron