Re: [hybi] I-D Action:draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-01.txt

Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ) <ifette@google.com> Wed, 01 September 2010 22:54 UTC

Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 15:55:09 -0700
From: "Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ)" <ifette@google.com>
To: hybi@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [hybi] I-D Action:draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-01.txt

I'd like to give a quick explanation of what has changed in this draft.

This draft was begun by taking the -00 version, not what was referred to as
"draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-latest". The -latest version had a
number of changes after -00, some of which had been discussed on the list
and some of which hadn't. (You can see the changes at
http://tools.ietf.org/tools/rfcdiff/rfcdiff.pyht?url1=http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-00.txt&url2=http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/wg/hybi/websocket/draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-latest)
Many of these changes are editorial (e.g. "the server must not send any
further data to the server" -> "the server must not send any further data to
the client"), but there were also a large number of non-editorial changes,
e.g. to the handshake.

The handshake in -01 is the same as in -00. There are certainly open issues
against the handshake, and I do not mean to dismiss them, they simply are
not addressed in this draft.

The focus of this draft was to provide an updated draft that more closely
reflects the framing that the group seems to be discussing. The framing in
this draft is based on "take vii" that john tamplin sent out, and subsequent
discussion. It is not meant to say "Everyone is happy with this version" but
rather to give us a common document which to reference and base discussion
from. I fully expect that there will be changes.

I am hopeful that we will be able to produce a -02 much more quickly, e.g.
perhaps in 2-3 weeks, that reflects further refinement and consensus that
this group reaches on the mailing list.

On an editorial note, if you diff -00 and -01,
http://tools.ietf.org/tools/rfcdiff/rfcdiff.pyht?url1=http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-00.txt&url2=http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-01.txt,
you can see the full list of changes. It may look at first glance that there
are significant changes to the handshake sections, I assure you these are
editorial, and you should see that if you look at the text of the handshake
sections itself. The reason it doesn't diff cleanly is that the handshake
was previously split across sections called "Client-side requirements" and
"server-side requirements", while it is now in a section called "Opening
Handshake" with sub-sections for client- and server-side requirements.

-Ian