I-D Action: draft-resnick-on-consensus-05.txt

internet-drafts@ietf.org Fri, 04 October 2013 21:09 UTC

From: internet-drafts@ietf.org
To: i-d-announce@ietf.org
Subject: I-D Action: draft-resnick-on-consensus-05.txt
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 14:09:21 -0700

	Title           : On Consensus and Humming in the IETF
	Author(s)       : Pete Resnick
	Filename        : draft-resnick-on-consensus-05.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2013-10-04

Abstract:
   The IETF has had a long tradition of doing its technical work through
   a consensus process, taking into account the different views among
   IETF participants and coming to (at least rough) consensus on
   technical matters.  In particular, the IETF is supposed not to be run
   by a "majority rule" philosophy.  This is why we engage in rituals
   like "humming" instead of voting.  However, more and more of our
   actions are now indistinguishable from voting, and quite often we are
   letting the majority win the day, without consideration of minority
   concerns.  This document is a collection of thoughts on what rough
   consensus is, how we have gotten away from it, and the things we can
   do in order to really achieve rough consensus.

      Note (to be removed before publication): This document is quite
      consciously being put forward as Informational.  It does not
      propose to change any IETF processes and is therefore not a BCP.
      It is simply a collection of principles, hopefully around which
      the IETF can come to (at least rough) consensus.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-resnick-on-consensus

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-resnick-on-consensus-05

http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-resnick-on-consensus-05

ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/