Re: [Ianaplan] Proposed text reflecting IETF91 discussion

"Richard Hill" <rhill@hill-a.ch> Sun, 16 November 2014 10:49 UTC

From: Richard Hill <rhill@hill-a.ch>
To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>, John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 11:49:13 +0100
Cc: Milton L Mueller <mueller@syr.edu>, ianaplan@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Ianaplan] Proposed text reflecting IETF91 discussion

The NTIA explicitly requested inputs from the "global multistakeholder community", which is broader than the people who are involved with the technical work of the IETF.

Using the IETF process to solict those broad inputs for the protocol parameter part of the IANA function struck me as very sensible, because the IETF process is inherently open to all participants.

However, I now perceive that the intent is that decisions should be made on the basis of the positions and preferences expresed by "those who are involved with the technical work of the IETF", and that the "IETF's point of view"  regarding the transition of the protocol parameters will be the point of view of that narrow subset of the "global multistakeholder community".

If I had understood at the beginning that that was the intent, I probably would not have wasted everybody's time by bringing a different point of view, based on different knowledge and experience, to this discussion.

I apologize for my misundertanding and for any inconvenience that it may have caused.