Re: [Ianaplan] Proposed text reflecting IETF91 discussion

"Richard Hill" <rhill@hill-a.ch> Sun, 16 November 2014 10:55 UTC

From: Richard Hill <rhill@hill-a.ch>
To: Marc Blanchet <marc.blanchet@viagenie.ca>, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 11:55:13 +0100
Cc: ianaplan@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Ianaplan] Proposed text reflecting IETF91 discussion

SNIP

> - thanks for your research
> - most of your points are right, but the question is
> where/how/when they will be dealt.  This wg is not chartered to
> do legal work.  It is as we were doing an SOW, not the contract itself.

Indeed.  And a Statement of Work is exactly what was in "02", namely a call for other organizations to do the legal work to evaluate whether any additional agreements were called for.

It is not disputed that the current IANA functions contract between NTIA and ICANN contains provisions which are not found in the current agreements between IETF and ICANN.

What is disputed is whether those provisions are of any significance or consequence.

I submit that that is a legal matter, which should be analysed by professional lawyers.

Draft "02" called for exactly that.  In contrast, draft "03" prejudges the matter, by implicitly concluding that the provisions in question are of no significance or consequence.

That does not seem appropriate to me, neither from the substantive point of view, nor from the procedural point of view.

As you correctly say above, this group is not chartered to do legal work.  So why is it doing legal work, by concluding that the provisions in question are of no significance or consequence?