Re: [Ianaplan] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ianaplan-icg-response-04.txt

"Richard Hill" <rhill@hill-a.ch> Sun, 23 November 2014 09:40 UTC

From: Richard Hill <rhill@hill-a.ch>
To: ianaplan@ietf.org
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 10:40:30 +0100
Subject: Re: [Ianaplan] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ianaplan-icg-response-04.txt

Thank you for this. It does reflect the discussions on the list up to 22
November.  But, on that date, John Curran made a proposal which received
some support, and, at least so far, no opposition.  Unless I am mistaken,
the proposal is to replace, in Section III, the following text:

"The IETF community is quite satisfied with the current arrangement with
ICANN.  RFC 2860 remains in force and has served the IETF community very
well."

The replacement text would be:

"The IETF community is quite satisfied with the current IANA operations
arrangement with ICANN (as described in RFC 2860), and seeks to continue
this relationship via a legally-binding agreement."

Miles proposed to add at the end "The agreement should address the possible
future eventuality where IANA functions become split across multiple
operators."

That would be OK for me, but I can also live without it, because it is
already implied in the subsequent part of Section III which says:

"It is possible in the future that the operation of the protocol parameters
registries may be transitioned from ICANN to subsequent operator(s).  ..."

So, if there is no opposition, can we replace the text as shown above? So
that the pertinent part would read:

"The IETF community is quite satisfied with the current IANA operations
arrangement with ICANN (as described in RFC 2860), and seeks to continue
this relationship via a legally-binding agreement."

Thanks and best,
Richard