Re: [ietf-types] Q's regarding development of +json media types

Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org> Fri, 01 October 2010 04:13 UTC

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
To: mike amundsen <mamund@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 00:13:49 -0400
Cc: "ietf-types@ietf.org" <ietf-types@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [ietf-types] Q's regarding development of +json media types

On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 16:40 -0400, mike amundsen wrote:
> Experimental types should use the "prs" facet[1].
>
> Vendor-specific types (non experimental, etc.) should use the "vnd" facet[2].
>
> [1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4288#section-3.3
> [2] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4288#section-3.2

Thanks for the pointer, and perhaps I'm being dense, but I still don't
see what subtree a developer, like Nathan, who is in the early stages of
potentially creating a standard should use.  It seems wrong to use vnd,
since he's not a vendor and (at least in this hypothetical) has no
intention of ever creating a product here, commercial or otherwise.  It
seems wrong to use prs, since that would associate the media type
forever with him, even though he might lose interest in a year, while a
community processes takes it over.

It seems like there's no name he can use when starting out that will
continue to be sensible years down the road, if the type becomes widely
adopted, perhaps being blessed by a standards body.  Is that the state
of the art, that you just have to plan to change the media type at some
point?

    -- Sandro