Re: FWIW: draft-housley-tls-authz-extns-07.txt to Proposed Standard

Marshall Eubanks <tme@multicasttech.com> Tue, 10 February 2009 06:42 UTC

From: Marshall Eubanks <tme@multicasttech.com>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: FWIW: draft-housley-tls-authz-extns-07.txt to Proposed Standard
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 01:42:54 -0500
Cc: ietf@ietf.org

Dear Brian;

On Feb 9, 2009, at 8:50 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> FWIW (and it would be good if other actual
> IETF participants care to indicate +1 if they agree):

FWIW I read the IPR statement and couldn't figure out what the recent
posters
were talking about either.

Hunting around, I come across this

<http://www.heise-online.co.uk/news/FSF-call-for-opposition-to-TLS-Authorisation-standard--/112596

which lead to this

http://www.fsf.org/news/reoppose-tls-authz-standard

news → Send comments opposing TLS-authz standard by February 11
<snip>

That patent in question is claimed by RedPhone Security.  RedPhone has
given a license to anyone who implements the protocol, but they still
threaten to sue anyone that uses it.

<snip>

------

I don't see any sensible way you get from the statement below to the
statement above.

Regards
Marshall