Re: [IPFIX] Flow in IPFIX -> not only IP Flows

Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com> Tue, 26 October 2010 12:33 UTC

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 14:34:44 +0200
From: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
To: Brian Trammell <trammell@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Cc: "ipfix@ietf.org" <ipfix@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [IPFIX] Flow in IPFIX -> not only IP Flows

Dear all,

Thinking some more about this one.
It seems that there is an agreement for changing "IP packets" to
"packets" in the definition

Let me summarize the options. The first three come from Brian's proposal
below
1. Do nothing
     -> not ideal
2. Define a new category of data records which IPFIX can be used to export
     -> Brian: not a big fan of this.
     -> Same for me
3. Drastically expand the definition of Flow so that it covers
everything you might want to represent with IPFIX
4. Errata on RFC5101: "IP Traffic Flow or Flow" to "Traffic Flow or
Flow", and from "IP packets" to "packets
     -> this is not really an errata
     -> could be done, but we have to check all the implications
5. Change the definition from "IP Traffic Flow or Flow" to "Traffic Flow
or Flow", and from "IP packets" to "packets" when RFC5101 will go from
Proposed Standard to Draft Standard.
6. Have an applicability version 2, next to
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5472
     -> expressing that it's used also for non IP packets, among other
things.
     -> it's good, but I don't think this solution is complete. For
example, the ITU-T would still see the definition as being IP...

I'm in favor of 5. and 6., even though 4 would solve the problem now.

Feedback?
Do we want to discuss this in Beijing?

Regards, Benoit.