RE: [Ipsec] Rekeying IKE_SAs with the CREATE_CHILD_SA exhange

Pasi.Eronen@nokia.com Thu, 27 October 2005 10:41 UTC

From: Pasi.Eronen@nokia.com
Subject: RE: [Ipsec] Rekeying IKE_SAs with the CREATE_CHILD_SA exhange
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:41:20 +0300
To: alejandro_perez@dif.um.es, ipsec@ietf.org
Sender: ipsec-bounces@ietf.org

This is actually one of those issues we haven't reached
consensus yet.

It seems that we have consensus on the following:

  - It is mandatory to include one or more type 4 (D-H) transform
    substructures in the SA payload when rekeying the IKE_SA
    (Section 3.3.3).

  - Doing a new Diffie-Hellman exchange is not mandatory when
    rekeying the IKE_SA (e.g. Section 2.18 says that g^ir term
    is optional). Thus, although including a D-H transform
    substructure is mandatory, it can contain value "NONE".

  - Usually implementations will want to do a new D-H exchange
    when the IKE_SA is rekeyed; i.e., while NONE is allowed here,
    it's probably not the most common case.

  - Doing D-H is not mandatory when rekeying or creating a CHILD_SA.

  - When you're rekeying or creating a CHILD_SA, and you're not
    doing D-H, the KEi/KEr payloads are not included.

My interpretation of the spec is that

  - When you're rekeying the IKE_SA, and you're not doing D-H,
    the KEi/KEr payloads are not included.

But at least Tero and Paul disagreed with this conclusion back
in April (i.e., you have to include a dummy KEi/KEr payloads
even when you're not doing D-H --- but only the IKE_SA case,
not in the CHILD_SA case)...

There hasn't been much discussion about this since, though..

Best regards,
Pasi