Re: [Json] Two Documents

Douglas Crockford <douglas@crockford.com> Wed, 19 June 2013 02:07 UTC

Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 19:06:22 -0700
From: Douglas Crockford <douglas@crockford.com>
To: "Matt Miller (mamille2)" <mamille2@cisco.com>
Cc: "json@ietf.org" <json@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Json] Two Documents

On 6/17/2013 5:14 PM, Matt Miller (mamille2) wrote:
> Hello Douglas,
>
> In order for the WG to fully understand your proposal, we need a more definitive list of what to expect in each document.
>
> As a starting point, can you describe which sections of the current RFC4627 would be in "JSON Data Interchange Format" and which would be in the JSON best practices document?  Clearly the latter will have many additions from the recent discussions, but it is less clear which portions of the current text goes into which document.

Please excuse the lateness of this reply. I am traveling.

I am proposing that The JSON Data Interchange Format document contain
only the material that is universal to all applications of JSON. So, for
example, the only dependency on any character encoding is the
interpretation of the four hex digits in the \u notation, where Unicode
determines the meaning of the numbers.

It includes an abstract, an introduction, the detailing of the elements
(object, array, string, etc), and security considerations. No parsers or
generators, no octets, no MIME types.

This provides a standard description of JSON that all other standards
and practices may refer to. I think this is the standard that ECMA wants
to publish.

We can then consider other documents that constrain or interpret JSON
for specific purposes. The poorly named application/json is one. JSON as
a file format, JSON as a streaming format, and JSON as an embedded data
representation are others.