[keyassure] Bootstrapping Dane Adoption

Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> Wed, 16 February 2011 09:17 UTC

From: Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 10:17:23 +0100
To: John Gilmore <gnu@card.toad.com>
Cc: keyassure@ietf.org
Subject: [keyassure] Bootstrapping Dane Adoption

(just pursuing the conversation on a thread that with a name that is more
 related to the topic, since this has no more that much to do with publishing
 bare public keys )

On 15 Feb 2011, at 22:58, John Gilmore wrote in the thread archived at
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/keyassure/current/msg01810.html

>>   I can't remember if in their presentation they tell us how many valid self
>> signed certs they found out there...
>
> According to Chris Palmer of EFF, the SSL Observatory found 7 million
> self-signed certs (and 4.3 million with other certs).  But none of the
> self-signed certs were considered "valid self-signed certs" because
> the definition of "valid" was "with a valid signature chain, according
> to at least one browser", and of course browsers consider self-signed
> certs invalid.
>
> It appears that securing your web site with crypto is about three
> times as popular as obtaining a certificate from a certifying
> authority.
>
> So, providing a simple way in DNS for those 7 million web
> administrators to securely anchor their website's public keys to their
> domain names, without dealing with a certificate authority, would
> provide significant benefits to literally millions of people.

Yes.

It occurred to me that DNSsec providers could easily bootstrap the
adoption of Dane by pinging port 443 of their clients hosts, getting the
X509 Cert if it is there, verify it is correct, and if it is self signed
add the cert or public key to the DNSsec entry.

With even a few million such entries it would then be very easy to
convince browser manufacturers of the use of adding support for DANE.

Henry