Re: Re: Discussion of VPN4DC drafts

"So, Ning" <ning.so@verizon.com> Fri, 28 October 2011 20:06 UTC

From: "So, Ning" <ning.so@verizon.com>
To: "l3vpn@ietf.org" <l3vpn@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 16:06:03 -0400
Subject: Re: Re: Discussion of VPN4DC drafts
acceptlanguage: en-US

Derick,

Thank you for clarifying it for me.  Yes, I have seen network built like what you described.  It is indeed a valid use case.  However, things gets really complicated when you throw Inter-AS into the mix.  IETF works on baby steps with clearly and precisely defined problems.  We have been given a directive to define and reach consensus on a base set of problem statement.  I am afraid that the situation you are describing may be out-of-the-scope for this stage, IMHO.  However, it can certainly be something of interest for the next stage.

Currently there are three separate problem statement drafts in VPN4DC, and many other drafts also described some problems in detail.  We would like to summarize the problems into a common set to help define our working charter and scope.  Luyuan will send something out next week to kick start this effort.  Please feel free to comment and/or voice your opinion agree or disagree.

Best regards,

Ning So
Verizon Corporate Technology
(office) 972-729-7905
(Cell) 972-955-0914

Ning:

-----
Another applicable type of environment are "<blank>-service-providers"...

[Ning] Can you gave an example to help me understand it better?

-----

For instance, there are SIP/VoIP providers who do not own a regional or nation-wide MPLS transport network used primarily as revenue-generating L3VPN services network (such as Verizon, ATT, etc have). ?I have seen in a number of networks where these type of providers would purchase a DS3 or ethernet circuit from Verizon or ATT and channelize it with PVCs or VLANs. ?Each PVC or VLAN would correspond to ?a different L3VPN network (i.e., customer) on Verizon or ATT's MPLS network. ?The SIP/VoIP provider would then use Inter-AS Option A to connect these L3VPN networks to L3VPN networks they have built for their external customers in their data center. ?They are effectively extending these L3VPNs into their datacenter to attach (and customize) services to them. ?In some cases customer owned appliances are put "in the path" of the customer's traffic in the provider's data center. ?

There are SIP, Storage, and E-mail providers (all fairly obvious) that I am aware of doing this. ?Less obvious are more specialized services like financial services and applications and medical applications and services. ?Locally here I have run into at least one company delivering video and audio in this fashion for businesses that want streaming advertisements on media displays. ?

Of course, in order to maximize their potential customer base they connect to multiple carriers in this way. ?

The point though is that this is an example of a non-transport service-provider attaching VMs and other hosts/appliances/services ultimately to customer L3VPNs internal to the provider's datacenter. ?There is a ?need for automating the turn up of VPNs (as one of the VPN4DC drafts describe) on the PEs facing the external transport providers with which they are running Inter-AS option A, as well as on the PEs facing the VM hosts or virtualized appliances. ?Also there is a need for ?automatically building a VM or a virtual-appliance on the fly for service to that VPN. ?

Sorry if this is too verbose or not clear enough. ?Here is a partial diagram:?http://packetpushers.net/extending-private-networks-into-your-datacenter/. ?Now just imagine a PE in the data center with VMs attached to it for each of the four VRFs.

Derick