Re: [link-relations] NEW RELATION REQUEST - pingback

Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> Wed, 11 August 2010 03:34 UTC

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 13:35:25 +1000
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: link-relations@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [link-relations] NEW RELATION REQUEST - pingback

On 11/08/2010, at 1:22 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>>
>> Overall looks good; two issues:
>>
>> 1) the template should be in the draft.
>
> The draft is frozen. Is there no way to register a link relation for old
> drafts? The HTML4 relations were registered without modifying HTML4, no?

Yes - they were registered in an RFC.

> 2) a document published on a personal web site doesn't meet the
>> requirement for the reference to be an RFC or Open Standard.
>>
>> RE #2: there are a couple of things you could do to address this, but
>> probably the easiest would be to submit it to the RFC Editor for
>> publication as an independent submission Informational RFC. If you'd
>> like details on how to do this, just ask.
>
> I'm not especially interested in publishing this document through the IETF
> process (it would appear to be entirely busywork with no upside); does
> that mean that it isn't possible to register this relation?

If you meet the "RFC or Open Standard" test, it's possible to register it.

Note that publishing on the independent submission Informational RFC track isn't really "through the IETF process" -- it's at the discretion of the RFC Editor, which is a separate entity. See:
  http://www.rfc-editor.org/indsubs.html
  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4846
  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5742

While I can't say that it's necessarily a quick process, the amount of work involved (beyond draft formatting) is relatively low, and there are a few upsides, including:

1) RFCs are institutionally guaranteed not to change over time; you say that the spec is frozen, but there aren't checks or balances, nor conventions in place, to prevent future changes.
2) When you die and your Web site disappears, an RFC will have a better chance of persisting in an unambiguous state.

Cheers,