Re: [lisp] I can find only one definition of "namespace"

jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu (Noel Chiappa) Sat, 21 March 2009 17:23 UTC

To: lisp@ietf.org
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 13:23:50 -0400
From: jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Cc: jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Re: [lisp] I can find only one definition of "namespace"

    > From: Robin Whittle <rw@firstpr.com.au>

    > The most notable document making frequent references (44 at least) to
    > "namespace" in ways which entirely accord with the definitions I found,
    > was Noel Chiappa in an unfinished draft of an I-D, which is nonetheless
    > cited quite frequently

I have to admit there's a certain droll humour in having _my own flipping
document_ being cited to tell me I don't know what the hell I'm talking
about...

But I see the irony has escaped you.

An important defining characteristic of a namespace is the _semantics_ of the
names, not just their _syntax_. Two namespaces may have similar syntax, but
different semantics (e.g. disk block numbers and memory locations). It is the
difference in the semantics of legacy IPvN addresses, LISP EIDs, and RLOCs
that make them separate namespaces, even though they are identical
syntactically.

Look, you don't like LISP. We get that. You think it's a bad idea. We get
that. So why don't you go start your own WG, create your own documents, write
your own code? Being obstructive about LISP is not doing anyone any good at
all.

	Noel