Re: [lisp] My proposed revisions to the charter - LISP lacks proper terminology

Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf@mit.edu> Wed, 25 March 2009 01:37 UTC

To: Robin Whittle <rw@firstpr.com.au>
From: Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf@mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 21:38:08 -0400
Cc: lisp@ietf.org, Noel Chiappa <jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [lisp] My proposed revisions to the charter - LISP lacks proper terminology

    Robin> Short version: Most of the third paragraph should be
    Robin> replaced.

Here, you may well be right:-)
I took a stab at things, but it looks like there is more work to do.
Most of what you said is stuff that I cannot really comment on as a chair.
    Robin>                    Sam wrote that a single address would
    Robin> "typically" not be used in EID and RLOC roles.  For a
    Robin> practical LISP system, "typical" is not strong enough - it
    Robin> is impossible.

    Robin>                    Noel still seems to think it is
    Robin> possible, but has yet to explain how.

I think there has been enough discussion on-list and other private
comments that the rough consensus of the participants so far is that
there will be cases where the same IP stands both as an EID and a
RLOC.
My claim that this typically does not happen may even be too strong:-)

I acknowledge that you disagree and that so far our sample size is
small.