Re: [Ltru] IPA as a script [was: IPA, NSAI and ANSI]

Erkki Kolehmainen <erkki.kolehmainen@kotus.fi> Thu, 26 October 2006 15:18 UTC

Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 18:10:57 +0300
From: Erkki Kolehmainen <erkki.kolehmainen@kotus.fi>
To: Marion Gunn <mgunn@egt.ie>
Subject: Re: [Ltru] IPA as a script [was: IPA, NSAI and ANSI]
Cc: TC46-L Information and Documentation Technology List <tc46-L@listserv.heanet.ie>, Sue Ellen Wright <sellenwright@gmail.com>, LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>

I'm a little late in adding my comment, but I have quite some difficulty
in understanding this. To me, IPA is but one of the surprisingly many
phonetic alphabets of this world, albeit probably the most commonly
used. Others include e.g. UPA (the Uralic Phonetic Alphabet) and LMA
(the Swedish Landsmålsalfabetet), both of which I'm somewhat familiar
with, since I've been involved in the encoding of them in the
UCS/Unicode. The usage of the phonetic alphabets also has a tendency to
be based on extensive cross-boundary character loans even from other
scripts than the Latin script, under which they are now listed.

   However, it would make a lot of sense to be able to identify a text
as having been written using _some_ phonetic alphabet (for which a
separate script code could be used if a more suitable solution cannot be
found). This could then be further identified by the code for the
specific, most dominant alphabet, such as IPA, used to write the text.
My point is that the IPA identification problem should not be solved by
such a special treatment that it could not be applied to the other
phonetic alphabets.

Sincerely, Erkki I. Kolehmainen