Re: [manet] Is it difficult to receive simultaneously over multiplechannels?

Jim Thompson <jim@netgate.com> Fri, 08 October 2004 18:54 UTC

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 08:37:11 -1000
From: Jim Thompson <jim@netgate.com>
To: Christian Kuhtz <christian.kuhtz@BELLSOUTH.COM>
Subject: Re: [manet] Is it difficult to receive simultaneously over multiplechannels?
Cc: IETF manet <manet@ietf.org>
Sender: manet-bounces@ietf.org

First, I wasn't flaming, though I admit it was a "trick question".

Its true that the transmit masks of the "non-overlapping channels" (1,
6, 11) don't overlap.  But none of the radios on the market have enough
selectivity to eliminate in-band signals from an adjacent (25Mhz away)
or alternate (50MHz away) channel.

Minimum IEEE specs for a 11b receiver is 35dB of adjacent (25MHz away)
channel rejection.  IEEE doesn't publish specs for alternate channel
rejection, but I can tell you that the best designs (in terms of ACR)
are the "old" super-het receivers.  Intersil (now Connextant)'s
Prism2/2.5 is good for about 41dB of ACR.   Alternate channel rejection
is perhaps 20dB more with this chipset.

That means that if you're operating (your Prism 2/2.5 chipset radio) on
channel 11, a signal on channel 1 will be 60dB down from where it would
be if your radio was on channel 1.

Path loss in the first meter @ 2.4GHz is 41dB.   Lets say you've got a
garden-variety radio that puts up 32mW (15dBm) of tx power, and ignore
antenna gain for now (so 0 dBi antennas on both radios).

15dBm - 41dB - 60dB = -86dBm   This is the in-channel 'noise power' of
the alternate channel radio.  Notice that it is at least 15dB above the
thermal noise floor.  Translated:  you've lowered your SINR.

Thus, even if you pick "1 and 11", you're going to end up with
significant in-channel power from any operate on the alternate channel
by a close-by transmitter.

Now, if you add any antenna gain to the equation, then, unless you
manage to find really special antennas, (or use channel filters, etc)
then the gain of both antennas affects the above in a negative way.

The situation is (much) worse with 11g.   Due to their (quite common,
but non universal) direct conversion archectures, and some interesting
properties of OFDM, most 802.11g receivers  can't muster even the 35dB
of ACR that the IEEE specifies when operating in the 802.11g modes.

It varies by modulation rate, but the minimum ACR for 802.11g at 6Mbps
is 16dB (alternate is 16dB more, for 32dB).  This goes down to -1dB
(yes, -1dB) ACR @ 54Mbps (with alternate channel rejection at 54Mbps
down to 15dB.)

If you try the obvious experiment, be sure to make sure that you've got
the same "range" from both cards operating as from one card operating.

1) establish range for first card with no second card operations
2) enable 2nd card
3) re-check range of 1st card while 2nd card is under full operation
(passing a lot of traffic)

You'll find it appears to work if the clients are at close range.

11a isn't immune either.

Jim