Re: [manet] DLEP and broadcast/multicast

"A. Riley Eller" <reller@cococorp.com> Sat, 17 September 2011 19:01 UTC

From: "A. Riley Eller" <reller@cococorp.com>
To: Joe Macker <joseph.macker@nrl.navy.mil>, Stan Ratliff <sratliff@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 14:08:40 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "manet@ietf.org" <manet@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [manet] DLEP and broadcast/multicast

Just to be clear, the request I filed below is only to measure the latency for these packets. The goal is to provide an approximation for some EFT variables. The value returned does not even need to come from multicast packets. For instance, in Wi-Fi, measuring the receipt-through-first-transmission duration of unicast packets would be an equivalent indicator.

The idea here is to offer the router distinct latency views of access to the medium and each peer. For each peer, the total link latency will be (latency of access to the medium scaled by expected latency of retransmission to that peer). The first term of that clause was my intended goal, and might be well approximated by an exponential moving weighted average of forwarding time of multicast/broadcast packets.

Hopefully some of those concepts will help to shape the motivation discussion.