[manet] Duplicate suppression for RREQ and RREP -- Problem and Proposed Solutions

"Charles E. Perkins" <charliep@computer.org> Sun, 30 December 2012 22:40 UTC

Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 14:40:21 -0800
From: "Charles E. Perkins" <charliep@computer.org>
To: Marius Portmann <marius@itee.uq.edu.au>
Cc: "'manet@ietf.org'" <manet@ietf.org>
Subject: [manet] Duplicate suppression for RREQ and RREP -- Problem and Proposed Solutions

Hello folks,

As noted by Marius Portmann et al., there are some subtleties about
using sequence numbers to inhibit dissemination of possibly
outdated RREQ and RREP messages.  After reconsidering this
matter for the last couple of weeks, I realized that the existing
specification does not properly handle suppression of duplicate
multicast messages.  In order to accomplish that, while still
not suppressing earlier multicast messages that do need to be
transmitted, a list of previously retransmitted multicast AODVv2
routing messages needs to be maintained, as suggested by Marius.

Here is some proposed text for that purpose:

Two incoming RREQ messages should be considered the "same" if
they have the same Sequence Number and were generated by the same
AODVv2 router.  Using that notion of equivalence, when RREQ messages
are multicast in a MANET, a node may well receive the same RREQ from
more than one of its neighbors.  Such duplicated RREQs SHOULD NOT
be retransmitted; otherwise, a great deal of unnecessary signaling
traffic is likely to be generated in the network as multicast RREQs
are retransmitted over and over again with practically no additional
benefit.

To avoid unnecessary retransmission of duplicate RREQ messages,
while still enabling the proper handling of earlier RREQ messages
that may have somehow been delayed in the network, it is needed
for each AODVv2 router to keep a list of the RREQ messages which
it has recently retransmitted.

The same duplicate suppression is needed for other AODVv2 messages.
For instance, when optional multicast RREP is used to enable selection
from among multiple possible return routes, similar measures need to
be taken.

For this reason, the table is more generally called the AODVv2
Duplicate Suppression Table; it is simply a list of the AODVv2 RREQ
and RREP messages which have been recently multicast, using
the above notion of message equivalence.  More formally, two
AODVv2 RREQ messages are equivalent if:
- they were generated by the same AODVv2 router (RREQ_gen)
- RREQ_Gen assigned the same Sequence Number to its
   routing information in the RREQs
- the RREQs are for the same desired destination address
An analogous definition applies for a RREP message, in case that
the RREP message would be multicast.

Protocol handling of RERR messages eliminates the need for
tracking RERR messages, since the rules for retransmitting RERR
multicast messages prevent the phenomenon of message duplication
(that can affect RREQ and RREP retransmission).

As a historical note, AODV and early versions of DYMO contained
a similar broadcast suppression mechanism.  Prior to initiating the
conversion to RFC 5444 compliance, Ian and I had thought that the
underlying multicast optimization <via SMF> would do a better
job of duplicate suppression, and in a manner already integrated
with the underlying forwarding mechanisms.  Thanks, Marius et al.
for triggering a re-examination of this issue which has needed
attention since the RFC 5444 compliance changes.

--
Regards,
Charlie P.