Re: [mmox] Work Items and Planning Documents for the MMOX BoF session (Draft Charter)

"Infinity Linden (Meadhbh S. Hamrick)" <infinity@lindenlab.com> Fri, 06 February 2009 10:34 UTC

From: "Infinity Linden (Meadhbh S. Hamrick)" <infinity@lindenlab.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 02:34:45 -0800
To: Morgaine Dinova <morgaine.dinova@googlemail.com>, "Hurliman, John" <john.hurliman@intel.com>
Cc: "mmox@ietf.org" <mmox@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mmox] Work Items and Planning Documents for the MMOX BoF session (Draft Charter)

Hi John, Morgaine,

Yes. Speaking as the co-chair of the BoF, I share your concerns. The draft group charter is exactly that, a draft. I think we expect it to be modified before the WG is formed. The draft does take a very Linden-IBM perspective as those were the authors of the draft. The IETF standardization process REQUIRES consensus, so I don't think we're expecting a rubber-stamp.

But, we would like to get people to submit concrete proposals. So let me ask; do you think you guys could come up with verbiage that could be inserted into the charter that would address your concerns? If you look at the charters of other groups, you'll sometimes find wording indicating the group has an exploratory mission as well as one to work on explicit proposals. It sounds like you both would be interested in such language. So, please submit changes to the draft documents you wish to discuss here. If you will attend the meeting in San Francisco, there's space in the agenda for open discussion and Q&A should your concerns not be addressed on the list.

With respect to LLSD, there is a precedent for including vendor names in the names of drafts and RFCs. RFC2437 PKCS#1 : RSA Cryptography Specifications and RFC2040 describing the RC5 cipher (RC5 stands for both "Ron's Code 5" and "Rivest Cipher 5)

We brought LLSD into the public as part of OGP and as an internet draft so we could get comments from the internet community. It might be advantageous if you could describe which portions of the LLSD draft you think need modification.

With regards to hypergrid, can it be specified in the form of an internet draft and discussed here? Is there a willingness by its authors to submit it as a standard?

Cheers!
Meadhbh