[mmox] MMOX Progress tracking

Morgaine <morgaine.dinova@googlemail.com> Wed, 04 March 2009 10:56 UTC

Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 10:56:53 +0000
From: Morgaine <morgaine.dinova@googlemail.com>
To: MMOX-IETF <mmox@ietf.org>
Subject: [mmox] MMOX Progress tracking

I think it's fair to say that we have had a very interesting last few days
in MMOX.  As the deadline for new Internet Drafts for consideration at the
BoF has come and nearly gone (last day noted by
Lisa<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mmox/current/msg00909.html>),
documents have been appearing thick and fast.  In order of appearance:

   - MMOX Problem and Scope
statement<http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/staging/draft-ietf-mmox-problem-00.txt>--
David W. Levine
   - Live Entity State Stream (LESS) protocol
description<http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/staging/draft-ietf-mmox-less-protocol-00.txt>--
Jon Watte
   - Open Grid Protocol:
Foundation<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lentczner-ogp-base-00.txt>--
Mark Lentczner

David's document is particularly useful owing to its broad definition of the
MMOX problem space and its clear scoping of how MMOX can be expected to
assess and define eventual solutions.  It provides an excellent (extended)
analysis upon which a good (short) MMOX charter can be based, doubly
"excellent" by virtue of the high amount of support that it has received on
the list.

(With respect to work on the charter, the original draft charter is now
marked as "*THe following is out of date. It was posted for consideration
during the process of approving the MMOX BOF. The BOF is approved and
charter discussions continued on the MMOX mailing list.")

*Jon's submission of the LESS protocol is, I believe, crucial to the success
of MMOX, as it provides the only "official" counterpoint to the OGP proposal
and so hopefully ensures that our focus is a broader, more vendor-neutral,
and more architecture-neutral one than OGP alone would encourage.

Mark's submission of the OGP: Foundation (loosely, "OGP Base") protocol is
of course the "official" conerstone of the ongoing work on OGP.  (That work,
incidentally, continues apace at LL/AWG alongside the efforts here at
MMOX).  In the AWG, it has sometimes been hard to disentangle pure OGP
concepts from the legacy concepts of Second Life with which it is
compatible, so this independent publication is extremely important:
attempting to implement this spec will highlight those things that are
currently missing or SL-referential.

(It is worth pointing out that LESS and OGP do not define the maximum extent
of MMOX interop:  they merely provide the two official IETF draft protocol
proposals for consideration at the BoF.)

I think that the above documents can give us a reasonable basis for the BoF
meeting.  The details are of course subject to further examination and
refinement on the mailing list, both before and after the BoF and the
creation of the workgroup, as per normal IETF procedure.

Morgaine.