[multimob] Summary from multimob session @ IETF71

Behcet Sarikaya <behcetsarikaya@yahoo.com> Wed, 02 April 2008 19:18 UTC

Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 12:16:05 -0700
From: Behcet Sarikaya <behcetsarikaya@yahoo.com>
To: multimob@ietf.org
Subject: [multimob] Summary from multimob session @ IETF71
Sender: multimob-bounces@ietf.org

----- Original Message ----
From: Suresh Krishnan <suresh.krishnan@ericsson.com>
To: multimob@ietf.org
Cc: Behcet Sarikaya <bsarikaya@huawei.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2008 6:18:41 PM

Hi Folks,
   Here is the summary from the multimob session we had at IETF71. I was
too involved in the discussions to take very good notes but I think the
essence of the discussions is covered.

Cheers
Suresh

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Behcet presented his overview slides about draft-sarikaya-multimob-ps

Marshall Eubanks mentioned that light weight MLD may or may not be standardized or implemented. We should not base multimob work on the assumption that it will be there

Dave Thaler mentions his presentation about source mobility in multicast

Here is the URL for this presentation:
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/01dec/slides/magma-2.pdf
please read HA as HoA (Home Address).

Frank Xia about draft-xia-multimob-hybrid-00

Dave points out you can already subscribe to a multicast stream without using MIPv6 and the application on the MN will choose.

Dave wants to know who makes the choice about taking the direct or the home tunneled path. The stack on the MN or the Application?

Frank mentions that when the application joins the multicast group on the home interface the stack can switch to the local interface.

Bharat wants to know how the MN knows that the multicast service is available locally

Bill Atwood talks about charging on the AR (for local streams) being different from that on the home network. He thinks that the decision for this should be in the hands of the end user

Dave agrees and  wants to have the costs predictable.

Dave wants to define optimality (what we are trying to optimize)

Bill has issues with picking paths without user involvement

Christophe Janneteau wants the user involved but not necessarily the application

Frank Xia about FMIP multicast draft

Dave wants to quantify the advantages, since the propogation from the NAR to the common point might be pretty close.

He also wants to know about the tunnel management interference between unicast and multicast tunnels.

Thomas presented his slides about Proxy architectures for mobile multicast receivers (no draft)

Dave wants to see a topology

Frank asks about whether the PAR or NAR must be the proxy agent in case of FMIP

Suresh mentions define "what"(the functionality) but not "where"(physical node)

Dave wants a definition of proxy agent

Bill wants to stress that the functionality is colocated but not inside.

Dave thinks that the proxy definition still not clear.

Suresh wondering if this proxy is an unicast/mcast proxy?

Thomas thinks feeding mcast to proxy is not our(multimob's)job

Dave mentions the proxy is useful only for unicast-multicast and multicast-unicast topologies but not for native multicast topologies

Dave does not think protocol extensions are required and he thinks that the switching per client basis not per mc group basis

Thomas wants to build a toolbox for future work

<END OF MEETING, OUT OF TIME>