Re: [nat66] Necessity for NAT remains in IPv6

Chris Engel <cengel@sponsordirect.com> Wed, 04 November 2009 20:45 UTC

From: Chris Engel <cengel@sponsordirect.com>
To: 'Keith Moore' <moore@network-heretics.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 15:49:11 -0500
Cc: "nat66@ietf.org" <nat66@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [nat66] Necessity for NAT remains in IPv6

Ok,

I must admit... you've got me rather flummoxed here Keith. Your claiming that neither Network Admins, Business Owners nor End Users understand their OWN needs, priorities and costs very well?? That none of these entities are capable of understanding whether they are truly satisfied with the services they receive and judging whether they get VALUE for their investment in them??

If that is the case, then who, would you venture, is in a better position to understand such things???

Who, would you propose, should be in the position to make DECISIONS for such entities about the course of technologies they should seek to pursue??

Are you further claiming that Darwin was wrong??? That the fittest will NOT prevail?

If the arguments against NAT are so compelling and NAT's utility under IPv6 so negligible then why would you be concerned that NAT will see significant adoption under IPv6?

Are you simply saying that the vast majority of people in a position to make such decisions are stupid (or "ill-informed" if you want to be more polite in phrasing) and will make dumb decisions. That in the free market-place of ideas...the bad ideas will win out?

Even if you are convinced that's the case... the question then becomes... "What should one do about it?"

I certainly don't see any lack of effort made here to convince people about the negatives of NAT... nor to provide them potential substitutes. That is what RFC4864 was all about, correct?

If after all that effort, there is still a risk that a significant number of individuals fail to be convinced (as I am) and would seek NAT under IPv6.  What would be the most prudent course of action?

If there is a significant risk that people will seek out and adopt NAT solutions under IPv6... wouldn't it make more sense to try to provide some guide-lines about HOW to implement it... in effect to try to "minimize the harm" that it will do?

I am not trying to pigeon hole you here...I'm just honestly having a tough time understanding your position outside of "NAT = BAD".

Christopher Engel