Re: [NSIS] Admission field in QSPEC -- was RE: Review ofdraft-ietf-nsis-qspec-18.txt

Gerald Ash <gash5107@yahoo.com> Sat, 08 March 2008 14:23 UTC

Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 12:57:00 -0800
From: Gerald Ash <gash5107@yahoo.com>
To: Martin Stiemerling <Stiemerling@nw.neclab.eu>, nsis <nsis@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [NSIS] Admission field in QSPEC -- was RE: Review ofdraft-ietf-nsis-qspec-18.txt
Sender: nsis-bounces@ietf.org

Martin,

  > Thanks for your summary and the proposal to change the field.

  It wasn't my proposal, it was Ken's proposal who said that if adopted he would "be more than happy to drop the subject altogether."  However, it seems now that this agreement wasn't enough to drop the subject altogether after all.

> However, there current approach elimantes the idea of
  > having an object understood by all participating partners
  > (RSVP, NSIS, etc) in terms of the admission priority.
>
> The updated QSPEC will solely have the "Y.2171 Admission
  > Priority" but no general purpose admission priority (as in
  > draft-ietf-tsvwg-emergency-rsvp).

  Note that the emergency-rsvp folks would prefer to call the rsvp admission priority "generic admission priority" (GAP).  The object used for GAP is as follows (see Section 3.1 of  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-emergency-rsvp-05.txt):

  3.1.  Admission Priority Policy Element

   The format of the Admission Priority policy element is as follows:

          0           0 0           1 1           2 2           3
          0  . . .    7 8   . . .   5 6    . . .  3 4  . . .    1
         +-------------+-------------+-------------+-------------+
         |     Length                | P-Type = ADMISSION_PRI    |
         +-------------+-------------+-------------+-------------+
         | Flags       | M. Strategy | Error Code  | Reserved    |
         +-------------+-------------+-------------+-------------+
         |              Reserved                   |Adm. Priority|
         +---------------------------+---------------------------+

  This is an rsvp-specific object and if incorporated into qspec would lead to significant changes (probably also in qos-nslp).  IMO this would be a very bad approach.

> How about having the "Y.2171 Admission Priority" and the
  > general purpose admission priority in the QSPEC?

  A possible approach would be to add an L bit in the NSIS admission priority object, as follows (see Section 5.2.9 in http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nsis-qspec-19.txt):

  5.2.9 <Admission Priority> Parameter [Y.2171]

   The coding for the <Admission Priority> parameter is as follows:

0                   1                   2                   3
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
|M|E|N|r|           9           |r|r|r|r|          1            |
| Admis.Priority|L|                (Reserved)                   |

   High priority flows, normal priority flows, and best-effort priority
   flows can have access to resources depending on their admission
   priority value, as described in [Y.2171], as follows:

   Admission Priority:

   0 - best-effort priority flow
   1 - normal priority flow
   2 - high priority flow

     L bit:

     0 - admission priority field has end-to-end significance
         (above admission priority values in IANA registry apply)
     1 - admission priority field has local significance only
         (admission priority values set by local domain administrator)

  In order to have this understood by all participating partners, it would be best if emergency-rsvp would also adopt the L bit with the same semantics.

  It would be good to get some other opinions here, besides the 4 or 5 of us who have discussed this so far.

  Jerry

Martin Stiemerling <Stiemerling@nw.neclab.eu> wrote:
    Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your summary and the proposal to change the field.

However, there current approach elimantes the idea of having an object understood by all participating partners (RSVP, NSIS, etc) in terms of the admission priority.

The updated QSPEC will solely have the "Y.2171 Admission Priority" but no general purpose admission priority (as in draft-ietf-tsvwg-emergency-rsvp).

How about having the "Y.2171 Admission Priority" and the general purpose admission priority in the QSPEC?

Thanks,

Martin

stiemerling@nw.neclab.eu <== NEW ADDRESS

NEC Laboratories Europe - Network Research Division
NEC Europe Limited | Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL | Registered in England 2832014