Re: [OAUTH-WG] why are we signing?

Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com> Mon, 09 November 2009 07:48 UTC

From: Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com>
To: Brian Eaton <beaton@google.com>, "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 00:48:32 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] why are we signing?

The problem is, we are not likely to ever reach consensus on 'reasonable security'.

For example, I don't find most cookie-based session systems reasonably secure without SSL/TLS. Being able to sit at a coffee shop with free wifi and a laptop and steal sessions cookies, then access people's email for the duration the cookie is valid isn't reasonable or secure.

If you would like to try this approach, I would suggest adding next to each option the list of common attacks still possible under those terms. It will allow us to evaluate the added security each level of complexity brings.

EHL