[OAUTH-WG] On the OAuth Core Spec

Derek Atkins <derek@ihtfp.com> Tue, 12 June 2012 17:28 UTC

From: Derek Atkins <derek@ihtfp.com>
To: Eran Hammer <eran@hueniverse.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 13:28:27 -0400
Cc: oauth@ietf.org
Subject: [OAUTH-WG] On the OAuth Core Spec

Eran (and the rest of the OAuth WG),

Hannes and I would like to apologize for what transpired last week with
the publication of version 27 of the OAuth core specification.  It was
not our intention to get a document published behind your back, the goal
was the get a document published in a more timely manner than it
appeared you could provide.  Coincidentally there was a communication
breakdown where we had an expectation that your co-authors would keep
you in the loop about what was going on.  We clearly should have been
more proactive in doing that ourselves instead of expecting others to do
it for us.  Moreover, I was not privy to any agreement that you may have
had about being "sole editor", so I had no reason to believe that there
would have been any particular issue with getting another version of the
draft out when you were busy.  So, we're sorry.

We're also sorry we weren't more clear that we really did need to get a
draft out.  I'll be sure that Hannes and I are both more clear going
forward when there are timely dependencies.

Having said that, are you still willing and able to be the editor of
this draft and see it to its conclusion and publication?  If so, we will
need to get another draft out by this Friday (June 15), and I suspect
we'll need another draft that solves the encoding issue (brought up by
the ABNF exercise), targeting Friday, June 29th.  Do you think you can
make these target dates (assuming that there is text for you to apply to
the draft)?

Thanks, and again, our apologies,

-derek, co-chair

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       derek@ihtfp.com             www.ihtfp.com