[ogpx] Names, Identity and Protocol elements

David W Levine <dwl@us.ibm.com> Tue, 09 March 2010 15:53 UTC

To: ogpx@ietf.org, ogpx-bounces@ietf.org
From: David W Levine <dwl@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 10:53:24 -0500
Subject: [ogpx] Names, Identity and Protocol elements

There have been a couple of comments on the use of "first name" "last
name" within the current specifications.

I think we need to be very careful to sort out the various uses of "name"
and "identity" in what VWRAP sets out to do.

There are a number of uses, and I suspect they are currently tangled up,
because there has been no reason to fully
separate them.

How are "names" used?

To start with there is the "user information" used when logging on to an
authentication service. There is then the identity which
that login asserts. These may not be the same. There is then the display
name used to tell other users who I am, and lastly, but
in many ways most importantly, one wants a clean, globally usable token
that can be used by services to identify the end user.

In Second Life, and in OpenSim, the "user information" has historically
been "First Name" "Last Name". This is combined with
a password, and gets one logged in. It so happens that the display name is
the same as the user information provided at login.
This isn't universal. In the Second Life Enterprise product, I login using
my Corporate LDAP credential. This means my
"User information" is "dwl@us.ibm.com" but when I log on, my Avatar's name
is pulled from LDAP and shows up as "David Levine"

In both Second Life and OpenSim, the user ends up being associated with a
UUID. This is fairly acceptable in a closed grid
but in a world with multiple grids, while the UUID is likely to be unique
(If not, what is the point of the Unique in UUID?) We really
would like to associate a user's identity not with just a token, but a
source. In the current specifications, this is partly implied by
the agent domain to which the user logs in. One can reasonable argue that
"Jane Smith validated by the Agent Domain at Walters
RackHaus SimHosting" is the implicit name when that agent domain presents
"Jane Smith" to a region. There are at least two
concerns lurking here. In the SLE case I mentioned above, Jane Smith's
identity, isn't really anchored in the corporate Agent
Domain, but the underlying LDAP, and in many ways, that is something I
want to know about. This is equally cogent when we
want to permit OpenID or Oauth to participate in the process of managing
authentication and identity.

The point about the underlying authentication also becomes interesting
when we want to provide secure access to
meta data about the user. The current teleport writeup includes a bunch of
meta data, such as whether the user has
provided a credit card, whether they are adult (by a  unspecified metric)
This is good and useful information, but we
probably need to cleanly separate it from identity, and tie it to the
source. This becomes especially cogent when
one has more and more services which want to apply policy based on the
user's identity and meta-data.

I think we probably need to walk through our use cases, and make sure
we've got all the major bases covered.
At a minimum, I think we need to cleanly separate out "Login information"
from "Display Name"  I think we also need
to expose the basis of authentication, and we need to expose a path to
identify and manage meta-data about the user.
It is far less useful to know that a "rez_avatar" request includes the
tuple (Age_verfied,True) if I cannot determine the
source of that validation. (or, "Corporate Employee, "Corporation name")
again, without a source and a path to validate
the source.

- David
~ Zha