Re: [p2prg] New version of p2prg-mythbustering

Enrico Marocco <enrico.marocco@telecomitalia.it> Tue, 14 July 2009 10:14 UTC

Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 11:38:20 +0200
From: Enrico Marocco <enrico.marocco@telecomitalia.it>
To: "Ray.Bellis@nominet.org.uk" <Ray.Bellis@nominet.org.uk>
Cc: "p2prg@irtf.org" <p2prg@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [p2prg] New version of p2prg-mythbustering

A little slip notwithstanding -- (2 * 5.5) + (2 * 2 * 5) = 31 ;-) -- the
proportion sounds reasonable, but the two cases are fundamentally
different. In fact, while in the former the two on-net peers are
literally leeches, in the latter they upload at least half of the file.
With the same share ratio (0.5, that is still half the average), the
cost without localization would sum up to:

    2 clients * (backhaul down + transit)
  + 2 clients * 0.5 (backhaul up + transit)
  = 2 * (10 + 1) + 2 * 0.5 * (10 + 1)
  = 33 units

This makes sense, as in the case with localization (cost: 31 units) you
have spent the same amount for the backhaul, but you have paid transit
for 1 file only (the 2 halves the peers downloaded from the off-net
seeder) instead of 3 (the 2 entire downloads plus the two half uploads).

The bottom line here is that if p2p traffic localization does not
increase uplink bandwidth usage (this could be argued, we took a first
stab in section 5 and 5.2 but more thought is definitely needed), the
savings are proportional to the impact of transit on the overall per-bit
cost.

Enrico