Re: [P2PSIP] I-D Action:draft-ietf-p2psip-base-03.txt

Michael Chen <michaelc@idssoftware.com> Sun, 26 July 2009 16:49 UTC

Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 09:54:20 -0700
From: Michael Chen <michaelc@idssoftware.com>
To: p2psip@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [P2PSIP] I-D Action:draft-ietf-p2psip-base-03.txt

Hi,

Nice to see progress. Here are things I want to point out and suggest:

1) Section 5.5.1.1, the definition IceCandidate.rel_addr_port does not
conform with the current mmusic-ice-19 section 15.1, which has the
following text:

"<rel-addr> and <rel-port>:  convey transport addresses related to the
      candidate, useful for diagnostics and other purposes. <rel-addr>
      and <rel-port> MUST be present for server reflexive, peer
      reflexive and relayed candidates."

Therefore, the definition of IceCandidate should be:

         struct {
           select (type){
             case host:
               ;          /* Nothing */
             case srflx:
             case prflx:
             case relay:
               IpAddressPort     rel_addr_port;
           }
         } IceCandidate;

   rel_addr_port
      corresponds to the related address and port of ICE, which MUST
      present for type "srflx", "prflx" and "relay".

2) In Section 13.6, IANA message codes for AppAttachReq and AppAttachReq
are not added. I suggest fill these two values (app_attach_req=5,
app_attach_ans=6) in the holes left by the abandoned tunnel_req and
tunnel_ans.

3) In Section 6.4.1.2, if the store request has multiple kinds, the
current answer structure will send replica node IDs multiple times. For
efficiency, I suggest moving the replica node IDs to the outer layer as:

         struct {
           KindId                  kind;
           uint64                  generation_counter;
         } StoreKindResponse;

         struct {
           StoreKindResponse       kind_responses<0..2^16-1>;
           NodeId                  replicas<0..2^16-1>;
         } StoreAns;

4) It seems that mmusic-ice-tcp-07 has been abandoned. The key members
of this draft should address the lack of ice-tcp standard in the next
draft, meeting or on the mailing list. Assuming this group is no longer
interested in mmusic-ice-tcp-07, something like this should be added  to
section  5.5.1.5 to make things clear:

   For peers that support TCP/TLS, the ICE TCP host candidates are the addresses
   and port number of each network interface it listens to.  They may also be the
   address and port number accessible to other peers via methods described in
   draft-lowekamp-mmusic-ice-tcp-framework.

   When forming ICE check candidate pairs, a local TCP candidate is paired with
   a remote TCP candidate of matching address type (IPv4 or IPv6).  In addition,
   for peers in "active" or "act-pass" role, a new port number MUST be allocate
   for the local candidate in the pair.  This is often done automatically by the
   operating system when the program calls the connect() function of the socket
   library to creates a TCP connection to the remote candidate address.

That is it so far. Thanks

--Michael