Re: [privacydir] request for a SAVI doc review

Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com> Mon, 31 October 2011 20:08 UTC

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 13:07:55 -0700
From: Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com>
To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Cc: privacydir@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [privacydir] request for a SAVI doc review

Hi Stephen,

I've read through the framework document.  My baseline impression is that
the document makes a presumption about the relationship between the host
and the network employing SAVI that is true when it is the access network
(that is, the network assigning the IP address to be verified).  In that
deployment scenario, it is expected for the network to be able to associate
layer two identifiers with the layer 3 identifier (after all, it must to be
able to deliver return traffic).

What's not clear to the naive reader (read: me) is how you prevent SAVI
from operating from other parts of the network; that is, how does the
overall framework guard against SAVI being used by some later network
on-path getting access to these bindings? I assume that this is detailed
elsewhere in the protocol documents, but I believe a short discussion of
the privacy threat in framework, along with a pointer to the protocol
mechanism would be valuable.

If the expectation is that SAVI can operate from multiple places in the
network (including, say, the destination network), then I believe there is
a more serious privacy concern.

regards,

Ted Hardie