Re: [RAM] Tunnelling & GigE jumbo frame size

Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch@muada.com> Wed, 12 September 2007 16:43 UTC

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch@muada.com>
Subject: Re: [RAM] Tunnelling & GigE jumbo frame size
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 18:42:06 +0200
To: RJ Atkinson <rja@extremenetworks.com>
Cc: ram@iab.org

On 12-sep-2007, at 16:24, RJ Atkinson wrote:

> Dino's notes all sound correct, with one exception.

I'd like to support Pekka's point about internet exchanges, though.

> The exception is a detail and does not alter his main point,
> which is that by using Jumbo Ethernet, tunnelling
> of 1518 byte Ethernet frames ought not create any
> fragmentation issues.  However, just to be crystal clear
> to anyone who isn't tracking Ethernet closely, here
> is the summary analysis.

Please note that ethernet frame size / MTU may or may not include the
Ethernet_II header (which doesn't conform to IEEE 802.3) and if it
does, it may or may not include the frame check sequence. I'll use
the IP MTU excluding ethernet headers unless otherwise specified.

> Correction:
> 	Just as "4K" MTU really means 4470 bytes, Jumbo Ethernet
> 	sizes of "9K" really mean an IP MTU of 9180 bytes.  This
> 	means the link MTU for Jumbo Ethernet is really:
>            (9180 + sizeof(Ethernet header) + sizeof(VLAN tag))

I think most people take it to mean 9000 bytes. This is the only real
jumboframe IP MTU size I've seen implemented in hosts. However,
routers and especially switches come with many different maximum
frame sizes. I've looked over some product literature and compiled
the following list: 1508, 1530, 1536, 1546, 1998, 2000, 2018, 4464,
4470, 8092, 8192, 9000, 9176, 9180, 9216, 17976, 64000 and 65280.

> Caveats:
> 	Jumbo Ethernet is explicitly not conformant to IEEE 802.3
> 	standards.  So all implementations that I'm aware of have
> 	a default MTU (i.e. out of the box) that is IEEE 802.3
> 	compliant.  Normally, users must explicitly configure the
> 	larger MTU size on each interface before it is enabled.

> 	1 GigE standards permit deployment with CSMA/CD, although
> 	I am not personally aware of any such deployments.  A GigE
> 	CSMA/CD deployment is likely not to work properly with
> 	an Ethernet frame size above that permitted by IEEE 802.3
> 	standards.  Switched Ethernet should be fine, however,
> 	and all actual 1 GigE deployments that I am aware of are
> 	switched and do not use CSMA/CD.

When gigabit ethernet was introduced the _minimum_ frame size (not IP
MTU size) was (sort of) increased from 64 to 512 bytes when using
CSMA/CD to make sure a frame would fill the entire collision domain
even at the faster bit rate. However, the _maximum_ frame size was
never increased because it would break old stuff. Lots of gigabit
ethernet equipment supports larger frames, but few 10 or 100 Mbps
implementations do. So having a larger frame size for GigE would make
interoperation with older ethernet equipment a problem.

Although the issue comes up in the IEEE 802.3 working group every few
years, no progress has been made here because the IEEE protocols
simply don't have the hooks that make maximum frame size negotiation
between ethernet systems possible. However, this is much easier at
the IP level (especially IPv6), so I'm proposing that the IETF pick
up the slack. See the discussion about my multi-mtu draft on the
internet area list:

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/int-area/current/index.html