Re: [re-ECN] Complete draft Charter for proposed CONEX WG

Leslie Daigle <leslie@thinkingcat.com> Thu, 07 January 2010 14:42 UTC

Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 10:42:46 -0400
From: Leslie Daigle <leslie@thinkingcat.com>
To: Ingemar Johansson S <ingemar.s.johansson@ericsson.com>
Cc: re-ecn@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [re-ECN] Complete draft Charter for proposed CONEX WG

Hi,

For the (public) record, here's the most recent version of the charter.
  Phil sent it along to Lars for his consideration, yesterday.  I think
we'll wait to hear feedback from him before doing more serious mods on
the charter -- I think (hope!) we're really close, and can be focusing
on getting the work items moving.

Congestion Exposure (CONEX) WG

The purpose of the CONEX working group is to develop a mechanism to
allow senders to inform the network of the level of congestion they
expect their packets to encounter. This information is currently only
visible at the transport layer in the end systems. With the output of
CONEX, it will be
possible to provide sufficient information in each IP datagram so that
any node in the network can see the expected rest-of-path congestion.
Once any node can see the impact it causes (and suffers) by sending or
forwarding packets, it will be possible to hold senders and whole
networks accountable for the congestion they cause downstream. Tools
that exploit the CONEX output could be used for mitigating distributed
denial of service (DDoS); simplifying differentiation of quality of
service (QoS); policing compliance to congestion control; and so on.

The WG will work on the following topics (see later for the list of
documents):

1. An applicability statement that describes:

A. the functionality / capability that is expected to be provided by the
CONEX mechanism itself, including its architectural features,
limitations and assumptions it makes about networks and end systems

B. deployability goals - how the CONEX mechanism can be deployed in
networks (non vs ECN vs perhaps CONEX routers) and end systems

C. security goals - addressing threats from falsifying or blanking CONEX
info

The purpose is
[1] to detail the key functional and non-functional considerations that
guide the work on the mechanism's design

[2] to allow exploration of use cases to begin before work on the
mechanism is complete

[3] to provide an intuitive explanation of the new concepts in CONEX

2. Specification of IP (v4 & v6) packet structure to carry CONEX
information (header bits, interpretation)

3. Transport-related Best practices and specifications:

A. for the timely transport of congestion information from the
destination to the sender,

B. for ensuring the trustworthiness of the CONEX information (to
mitigate the threats identified in 1C)

4. Use cases -- possible uses of CONEX information, which include
controlling or reducing congestion and increasing accountability for
congestion. The main purpose is to encourage experiments that use CONEX
information and to describe their results; it is not to delineate all
potential uses cases, nor to provide a full
architectural/deployment/security analysis of use cases. Future work may
include specifications to implement one or more use cases.

The output is Informational and Experimental, apart from #2 which is
tentatively slated as Standards track. Depending on the bits that are
proposed to be used in the IP header and their semantics (eg Bit 48 in
IPv4, ECN nonce), there may need to be further STD or INFO documents to
reassign the bits from their current definition(s) (which would be
subject to appropriate IESG and IETF review as necessary).

Milestones & List of documents to be produced:

== Related to Output Item 1 ==

Feb 2010 Internet-Draft functionality statement (Output item 1A)

Mar 2010 Internet-Draft applicability statement (Output item 1A, B, C)

July 2010 Applicability statement to WGLC

Sep 2010 Applicability statement sent to IESG (INFO)

== Related to Output Item 2 ==

Mar 2010 Proposals (individual I-Ds) for CONEX IPv4 & IPv6 specifications

Jun 2010 First WG draft CONEX IPv4 specification

Jun 2010 First WG draft CONEX IPv6 specification

Nov 2010 CONEX IPv4 specification to WGLC

Nov 2010 CONEX IPv6 specification to WGLC

Jan 2011 IPv4 specification sent to IESG (STD)

Jan 2011 IPv6 specification sent to IESG (STD)

== Related to Output Item 3 ==

Jun 2010 Draft transport-related best practices

Jun 2010 Proposals (individual I-Ds) for TCP modification

Jun 2010 Proposals (individual I-Ds) for mechanism to ensure
trustworthiness of CONEX information

Mar 2011 Transport-related Best practices for ensuring the
trustworthiness of the CONEX information, including Spec of one
mechanism to WGLC (EXP)

Mar 2011 Transport-related Best practices for the transport of
congestion information from the destination to the sender, including
Spec of TCP modification to WGLC (EXP)

May 2011 Both transport-related docs sent to IESG

== Related to Output Item 4 ==

May 2010 Internet-Draft use cases

Mar 2011 Use cases to WGLC

May 2011 Use cases sent to IESG (INFO)